jump to last post 1-17 of 17 discussions (28 posts)

My Hub Score Is Hurting My Ego!

1. MotherHubber profile image60
    MotherHubberposted 8 years ago

Up, down, up down.  HP loves me, then disses me.  Then they love me again.  WTF?  How can there be such a wide discrepancy about how good a writer I am in such a short span of time?

And - more importantly - why do I care, again???

1. goldentoad profile image61
      goldentoadposted 8 years ago in reply to this

supposedly you are a loser if you don't care, but I admitted I was a loser since the beginning. so my feeling don't get hurt by it.

2. JamaGenee profile image84
      JamaGeneeposted 8 years ago in reply to this

Because the algorithm that determines the number is designed by masochistic humans who like to play yo-yo with our self-worth.  Has nothing to do with how good a writer you are.  Sorry you were under that impression.

lol lol lol

3. apeksha profile image60
      apekshaposted 8 years ago in reply to this

same thing is happening with me ....so just neglect that n keep writing...

2. Lisa HW profile image84
    Lisa HWposted 8 years ago

I know the feeling.  You sign on and see a number that makes you think things are pretty close to being "all right with world" - and the next day, bam!  I think it's because our brains like to see that we've made x amount of progress, kept that progress, and continue to build on it.  I don't know about you, but it always makes me wonder what terrible thing I've done, or what great thing I haven't done, to make such a dive.   smile

1. JamaGenee profile image84

Lisa, I love your "earthy" avatar!

3. Lisa HW profile image84
    Lisa HWposted 8 years ago

Jama, thanks.  I thought it was just kind of pretty in a not-flowery way.

1. JamaGenee profile image84

It is.  The full-size version must be awesome!

4. charanjeet kaur profile image60
    charanjeet kaurposted 8 years ago

Well the hubscore has to get to everyone, i guess it was designed for that purpose.. lol its funny i was at a high of 99 one day and i called my partner to witness is as if i won a medol or something, the next day it sank to 95 and i was sulking. But if i get 100 i am sure gonna celebrate lol ... funny sentiment ha but thats the only good i see of this score.

1. aidenofthetower profile image89
      aidenofthetowerposted 8 years ago in reply to this

It is rather funny how we react. I got 100 one day and was so excited about it I made my husband come look. By time I got to the page when he was home it had dropped to a 99! He thought it was funny....

5. MotherHubber profile image60

True what you all are saying,   but it is just  nice to build on success.  I guess my mind operates in a more linear fashion. . .I like to work toward things, and have benchmarks and milestones.  The schizophrenic nature of the hub score just pisses me off.  I think they use this formula simply to generate more site content.  Just my opinion.

6. Misha profile image75
    Mishaposted 8 years ago

Well, did you notice you had hubscore of 100 when you had a spiky bra avatar? wink

1. apeksha profile image60

so u wan tell her that, score depends on sexy pics?

1. Misha profile image75
        Mishaposted 8 years ago in reply to this

Apeksha, I am just kidding around smile

1. apeksha profile image60

Oh! sorry then....forgive me....
          As I cant see any one flirting or saying rubbish things to any lady..so...
          sorry
          neutral

1. Misha profile image75

LOL no need to apologize, you did not offend anybody smile

And MH is perfectly capable of defending herself, trust me I tried wink

7. MotherHubber profile image60

LOL Misha!  Maybe I better put that thing back on, huh?

1. Misha profile image75

Give it a try wink I would even add a little teaser like half-removed cup, for better results tongue

8. aniketgore profile image69
    aniketgoreposted 8 years ago

lol apeksha

9. MotherHubber profile image60

Yeah, that's been a raging debate on the boards.  I decided to put up a new avatar - a real one of me on the beach with my daughter - too see if I notice anything different with my account, LOL.  So far, not really.  It could have something to do with the fact that I look armless in that picture.  But hey, maybe some people are into that?  LMAO!

10. Will Apse profile image91
    Will Apseposted 8 years ago

As far as I'm concerned Hubpages, offer a pretty good deal and they don't need to set out carrots like hub medals and scores for commenting etc to keep me motivated. The only scores that matter are the hub scores themselves which have real life consequences.

It is a bit strange that people are so easily sucked into the fantasy aspects of hubpages.

11. MotherHubber profile image60

Yeah, that's been a raging debate on the boards.  I decided to put up a new avatar - a real one of me on the beach with my daughter - too see if I notice anything different with my account, LOL.  So far, not really.  It could have something to do with the fact that I look armless in that picture.  But hey, maybe some people are into that?  LMAO!

12. aidenofthetower profile image89
    aidenofthetowerposted 8 years ago

Hubscores depend on so many things that they can't be used for determining if you are a good writer or not. And they go up and down for everyone...

I tend to feel good as long as its in the 90's and forget the bouncing. It still felt good to see the 100 one day...but it was gone quickly...so...

I recommend just letting it go. Hubpages doesn't hate you and neither do those who read your hubs! :-D

13. livewithrichard profile image85
    livewithrichardposted 8 years ago

I think I figured out the hubscore algorithm it is:

(1 - (U/c)2)1/2)-current hubscore / average of all hubs + 1
    U= speed
    c= speed of light

Good luck! lol

14. MotherHubber profile image60

Yeah, Misha tried to haze me when I first joined smile He quickly learned I'm one tough mother, hence the name.  LOL

15. Misha profile image75
    Mishaposted 8 years ago

Oh, I learn pretty fast tongue

BTW, congrats on your 200 fans! smile

16. Pete Maida profile image59
    Pete Maidaposted 8 years ago

Hub score calculation is a complicated animal.  Only a portion of the score has to do with the quality of the writing.  I do have to say that you have a better handle on it than I do.  I have yet to hit 95.

17. MotherHubber profile image60

Thanks, Misha!  Finally hit 200!  Pretty happy about that!

working