jump to last post 1-10 of 10 discussions (14 posts)

What was your worst fall off of bike/skate board, on roller skates

1. Guardian1 profile image75
    Guardian1posted 7 years ago

My worst fall happened when I was skating down hill in central park and up came a group of female tourist...HOLDING HANDS.
    There were like six of them. Not exaggerating. I had no choice but to throw myself to the ground. I skidded for ever. Then the tourist helped me up. They're lucky I took a chill pill that day ;-) (lol). Otherwise there would have been some ass kicking.

2. Misha profile image74
    Mishaposted 7 years ago

I just lost control of my rollers, overconfidence, you know smile Lots of fun when my late wife (then gf) and our female friend took care of my open wound on the head side. Ah, memories... wink

Guardian1posted 7 years ago in reply to this

Ahhh, good ol head wounds... wink

3. sunstreeks profile image83
    sunstreeksposted 7 years ago

I wiped out on skates around 13 at the rink and was on crutches for a week from pulling a muscle. Big huge deal, carried out by this really nice big butch lady in front of all my friends.

Not nearly as bad as the time I got brave and went down a steep rocky paved hill in shorts. Was only 20 or so feet long but that was long enough to wipe out to my side and get some serious road burn across the length of my outer thigh and arms.

Ya, I don't really skate much anymore. Was never really good for me.

Oh my gosh. Carried out by a big butch lady. That's pretty bad.

Ouch! Road burn sucks. You have to make sure to fall on someone else who's skating nearby. They'll break your fall ;-)

4. Lady Guinevere profile image60
    Lady Guinevereposted 7 years ago

When learning how to ride my bike at the age of 12, I tried to miss an oil spot in the road and the bike and I slid off the road.  I walked my bike home and my mother cleaned up the rocks and dirt out of my arms and legs. She then made me get right back on that bike!

My mom tried to learn riding a bike at the age of like 54. My dad was teaching her and she fell off hard. She never tried again. One day, I'll get her back on a bike. It's great exercise and I will be very patient with her/make sure she doesn't fall when I teach her

5. Dame Scribe profile image59
    Dame Scribeposted 7 years ago

I started trying to do tricks on a skateboard lol fractured my writst n elbow,major scrapes n bleeding tongue my parents took my skateboard away, I was 12 at the time, big_smile lol

6. curiozities profile image59
    curiozitiesposted 7 years ago

This isn't so much a fall but here's my story. 

At a young age, I learned how to take my bike apart and put it back again.  I must've done it like a thousand times when I was a kid. 

By the time I was about 12 or 13 one summer, the Fourth of July was coming up and we--meaning my younger brother and a cousin of ours close to our ages--wanted to get some firecrackers, which were illegal in our state (Florida).  We had heard that a small bait and tackle store (of all places) a distance from my house was selling firecrackers under the table. 

Intrigued, we took off for this place, which was the farthest we had ever dared to venture at that age. 

Along the way, we challenged each other to a series of short races, to see who would beat the others to the end of the particular block we were on at the moment.  I had been a little lazy with my bicycle maintenance and my chain kept coming loose--a big problem because I had one of those bikes you needed to pedal backwards to stop.  Each time it came loose I had to wait until I slowed down enough so I could stop by putting my feet on the ground, then turn the bike upside down, and finally put the chain back on the sprockets. 

Well, when we were just a couple of blocks away from our destination, I called for one final two-block race, our longest of the day.  I pedalled furiosuly and took a long lead--when the chain came loose again. 

The bike was going way too fast and I knew it would take a long time just to slow it down enough so I could brake with my feet.  To my left was a busy road full of traffic--US 41.  To my right, a car was coming from a side street.  I had only one way to go--straight forward and into the plate glass window of a small insurance agency. 

I was fortunate in that because the insurance agency's front had a brick wall about the same height as my tire, the wall stopped my bike and so instead of going completely through the window, I hit the window, shattering it, and bounced back. 

I opened my eyes and looked down at my hands.  My left hand was covered in cuts.  My right hand... I had slit open my ring finger and thought I could see the bone.  I could see blood dripping down from somewhere on my face onto my shirt. 

My cousin was scared he'd get into trouble so he took off.  It was just my brother and me.  Fortunately, my brother had the presence of mind to give my father's and mother's work phone numbers to a lady at the insurance company. 

An ambulance came and then my parents showed up afterwards.  My mother was in such a state of panic, the guys in the ambulance asked ME to calm her down! 

I spent a couple of days at the hospital.  They fixed my face up okay, with some plastic surgery.  It helped that the cut on my face wasn't really that bad. 

The worst thing that happened to me was that I shredded the tendon in my right ring finger.  Oddly enough the most painful injury was a small cut on my left hand. 

Maybe one of these days I'll write a hub on bicycle maintenance.  Or maybe not.  If some reader finds this post I'll lose any credibility I have on that particular topic. :-)

7. Colebabie profile image62
    Colebabieposted 7 years ago

When I decided to be a smart ass and hook a dog leash to my brother's bicycle while I was holding on on rollerblades behind him. Yeah I fell. Not too bad though just some road burn smile

8. cashmere profile image83
    cashmereposted 7 years ago

I was cycling to the park when I was 14 years old and I had to avoid a kid a who came running out in front of me on the road. Skid and fell. Kid was frozen to the spot, but unhurt. Couldn't say the same for myself.

9. Lisa HW profile image83
    Lisa HWposted 7 years ago

It wasn't a bike, skateboard, or skates; but when I was little I thought a cardboard box would make a good "sled ride" downstairs.  I placed the box at the top of the biggest staircase we had, got in, and shoved off.  (It turns out boxes on stairs are very different from sleds on snow hills.  roll     )

My parents had one of those, "what ever possessed you..." kinds of amazement that I'd done such a thing.    smile

10. fierycj profile image84
    fierycjposted 7 years ago

I was on this bike late at night, going full throttle, right. You know when sometimes you're on speed and you don't give a darn about anything. Well, this was it. I felt like I was bringing back the all or nothing glory days of MotoGP or some rock n roll crappy concept like that. Then as I was taking this turn, I swerved fully, you know the way they do in MOTO GP and Boom! The bike lost control - it wasn't a powerbike or anything - and got smashed up pretty good. I wasn't hurt or anything, except for a bruise on my elbow. I was fortunate no car was coming behind, otherwise I wouldn't be posting on this thread now. I drive a car now, though. Lol.

1. mandybeau profile image61
      mandybeauposted 7 years ago in reply to this

My friend just broke her arm on a skateboard, I think the thing is O.K. if you have the Balance, glad you are O.K. sounds like quite a fall.