jump to last post 1-8 of 8 discussions (9 posts)

Twitter Users: BEWARE the Twittercut Worm

1. Eric Graudins profile image60
    Eric Graudinsposted 7 years ago

If you believe that the way to Nirvana is having as many twitter followers as possible, BE CAREFUL

there are a lot of Tweets encouraging you to use something called Twittercut - which promises to get you loads of followers.

Here's a link to a Tech crunch article about the worm.

Eric g.

(If you've got sense, you'll stay far away from any automated thingies that promise to increase your followers.)

2. blondepoet profile image78
    blondepoetposted 7 years ago

Damn Eric I have 1400 followers now I just accepted them as I felt I was being polite, so how will I know now if I have clicked the baddies. When someone asks you it just says follow where you can tick. So how can you tell it is bad.I normally don't have time to suss them out as I got something going on or going down..

3. darkside profile image84
    darksideposted 7 years ago
    1. Eric Graudins profile image60
      Eric Graudinsposted 7 years ago in reply to this

Yeah, well us old fogeys get it right sometimes.
      The wrappers anf glossy ribbons constantly change, but the basic principles of online security are timeless. smile
      Cheers, Eric G.

4. Eric Graudins profile image60
    Eric Graudinsposted 7 years ago

Hi Deb,
    This is different to just following someone.

Typically, you'll receive a message from one of the people you are following saying something like
    "OMG this is fantastic. I got 1000 followers in a day from Twittercut", and it gives a link.

The link takes you to a website, where you are asked to put in your twitter username and password.

so if you haven't done that, you're fine smile
    Cheers, Eric G.

5. blondepoet profile image78
    blondepoetposted 7 years ago

Oh thank God, no I have never clicked on one single person,just can't be bothered unless it is someone from here. How naughty is that, I don't click on them yet desire they click on mine lol.

6. jcales profile image74
    jcalesposted 7 years ago

interesting..some websites you can be taken too and don't put in anything and you still get the worm or trojan.
    I guess it was only a matter of time for some idiot to mess with Twitter too.

7. lxxy profile image60
    lxxyposted 7 years ago

Very useful article. And for once, someone didn't use the many holes in Windows. wink Just the many holes in people's greed. Or something.

8. RooBee profile image83
    RooBeeposted 7 years ago

Everywhere there are holes ripe for infiltration - whoo that sounded bad and was not originally intended as such..

moving right along..

this was extremely helpful - thank you so much. Glad I read it in time!!