jump to last post 1-8 of 8 discussions (11 posts)

Do you think a strong competitor of Google is needed in search

1. andromida profile image76
    andromidaposted 7 years ago

A recent report showing that Google has identified social networking sites like Facebook as a growing competitor in
    search.Its happening mainly due to the shift of searching
    criteria of Internet users.Moreover,a monopoly  business
    is always a threat to the customers' choice,like Google Adsense program,where advertiser does not have much options other than Google due to its sheer control of the  search engine business.Would it be better to have a search engine as equally powerful and popular as Google.

2. nicomp profile image60
    nicompposted 7 years ago

Google is far from a monopoly. Google leads the pack by a wide margin but Yahoo, Ask, and Microsoft all have significant market share. Thankfully no government regulation disrupts the competition between companies. Anyone is free to index web sites and start their own service. My vision is an interactive graphical interface that goes beyond simple results lists.

3. profile image0
    Webb.erposted 7 years ago

What I think is that Google, having revenue over 300B, should donate just one-half of 1% of that revenue every year toward ending malnutrition.  During the time it took to write this, 4 more children died.

1. nicomp profile image60
      nicompposted 7 years ago in reply to this

Revenue and profit are not the same thing. They are only related to the extent that profit cannot exceed revenue. Other than that, they don't correlate.

2. andromida profile image76
      andromidaposted 7 years ago in reply to this

wonderful thinking.

4. ocbill profile image74
    ocbillposted 7 years ago

You honestly think google is far from a monopoly?
    50%+ share in search.
    above the law when it comes to copyign archives or snippets of books. They try to make their own law. Ask some foreign governments who are in litigation with them over their monopolistic practices.

They are putting their hand in anything online that exists (google apps, docs, voicemail, maps, ) and even offline. (google phone)  Just focus on a few things. Not Freakin' everything on the internet. Sounds like a Walmart to me. their integration of all these tools is monopoly as nobody will use their competitors. Another USA company too big to fail. (AIG, now has company)

5. lxxy profile image61
    lxxyposted 7 years ago

Google is doing a lot of things with that 30 billion. For example, they seem to be buying up lots of darknets: http://www.nyquistcapital.com/2006/02/0 … ise-again/

What is their ultimate goal? I think it's to manufacture glow in the dark puppies, but I've a feeling I'm way off the mark. wink

lxxy

http://img6.glowfoto.com/images/2009/05/11-1556083902T.gif

1. Misha profile image76
      Mishaposted 7 years ago in reply to this

No more really than trying to command a private company where should it put its money smile

6. lxxy profile image61
    lxxyposted 7 years ago

Usually money is kept in banks! Or under fireproof mattresses, and sometimes, into pigs.

7. Misha profile image76
    Mishaposted 7 years ago

Pigs seem as the best option in the current environment smile

8. lxxy profile image61
    lxxyposted 7 years ago

I dunno, isn't that what happened anyway? ;D

working