jump to last post 1-12 of 12 discussions (18 posts)

ummmm. woah. WEIRD! Scientology Ad (non-clickable)?!?

1. girly_girl09 profile image68
    girly_girl09posted 8 years ago

Ok, so I was just looking at my new hub on Children's Birthday Party Favors.

And....I see this animated image that is a burst of sun and then stops with a navy blue background and white text that says simply says: scientology.org. It doesn't say ads by google or anything AND when I put my mouse over it, it didn't change the cursor (so it's not even clickable!) They must be paying per impressions.

What is this though? A non-clickable ad? This made it look like I put a scientology graphic on my page and I don't want my visitors thinking this! lol I have no problem if this was to display on an article about religion, but children's birthday parties? I'm aware of the debate surrounding scientology and I'd imagine that many readers wouldn't appreciate seeing scientology ads, or in this case, scientology graphics.

I tried taking a screenshot but I'm on a computer right now with an Ubuntu operating system and it didn't work...grrr.

Anyone else seen this? I refreshed a few times but just get Birthday Express' Kung Fu Panda ad.(I don't want to refresh too many times)

1. brad4l profile image80
      brad4lposted 8 years ago in reply to this

You should just be able to hit the Print Screen Button, which is usually labeled "Prt Scr," and a dialog box will pop up asking you where you want to save the image.

The Print Screen Button(Prt Scr) is located in the top right section of most keyboards, above the delete/insert/home/end/pageup/pagedown buttons.

You can also be able to goto Applications -> Accessories -> Take Screenshot and a dialog box will pop up that lets you take a screenshot of the entire desktop, current window, or select a portion of the screen.

The attached image is of when you press the print screen button.

http://i44.tinypic.com/mbts2h.jpg

2. Haunty profile image83
    Hauntyposted 8 years ago

The same with me. The ad is all over the place and I hate it. sad
    But it's clickable.

1. darkside profile image81
      darksideposted 8 years ago in reply to this

Are you able to right click and do Copy Link Location? And paste it here minus the 'http://googleads.g.doubleclick.net/' bit at the start.

I'd like to see where it's sending the traffic

1. Haunty profile image83
        Hauntyposted 8 years ago in reply to this

No, but when I left click it I'm taken to this site:

www.scientology.org/?source=ga&gcli … 5QodsElRBA

1. darkside profile image81
          darksideposted 8 years ago in reply to this

Thanks. I've just added scientology.org to my Competitive Ad Filter

Hopefully HubPages HQ will do the same.

3. Everyday Miracles profile image93
    Everyday Miraclesposted 8 years ago

And it's not a Google ad?

'Course this means it's under HP's impressions but that's really weird. I wonder who is serving it?

4. Sufidreamer profile image79
    Sufidreamerposted 8 years ago

Haunty - I hate it too. I have hubs picking apart pseudoscience and then a Scientology advert appears. sad

EM - Maybe Hupfer has joined the cult smile

5. Everyday Miracles profile image93
    Everyday Miraclesposted 8 years ago

LOL Sufi!

This might be something Hubpages might want to correct. I haven't seen this advert, but I don't believe that it's appropriate, on science hubs or on religion hubs. Scientology is very, very hot-button right now and many people find it offensive!

6. Pearldiver profile image87
    Pearldiverposted 8 years ago

OOOOOOOOOOOOOHHHH Don't you just love Tom Cruise?

7. Sufidreamer profile image79

EM - Agreed: no idea why they are doing this. I can imagine that somebody writing a religion based hub feels exactly the same.

Pearldiver - Nope, although I always had a soft spot for Nicole Kidman wink

1. Pearldiver profile image87
      Pearldiverposted 8 years ago in reply to this

I found in interesting religious slant in The Emerald Tablets.
      Of course the teachings of Mr. Hubbard also bear a resemblance.

8. Sufidreamer profile image79

Must admit, I have never read the Emerald Tablets - maybe something else to add to the ever-lengthening list of books I need to read. smile

1. Pearldiver profile image87
      Pearldiverposted 8 years ago in reply to this

You will find it an 'interesting' slant on Atlantis

9. ngureco profile image87
    ngurecoposted 8 years ago

You are not the only one complaining about the Church of Scientology.

In an unprecedented effort to crack down on self-serving edits, the Wikipedia supreme court has banned contributions from all IP addresses owned or operated by the Church of Scientology and its associates.

Wikipedia Crack Down on Church of Scientology

10. Ivorwen profile image78
    Ivorwenposted 8 years ago

Haven't seen this, but I wonder if this is the add that my computer security system keeps blocking.

11. earnestshub profile image88
    earnestshubposted 8 years ago

Ron L Hubbard's brew of pop-psychology and second rate science fiction is stupid beyond belief!
    Tom Cruise displays his naivety in several online interviews about scientology. I am sick of seeing their ad too.

12. melbel profile image91
    melbelposted 8 years ago

I hope I don't get sued for posting in this thread by the Church of Scientology. J/k.
    Anyway, I'm getting the ad, too. I think you can block particular ads that come through AdSense, if it's an AdSense ad. Just go to AdSense.com and there will be directions there.

working