jump to last post 1-16 of 16 discussions (23 posts)

Defining Moments

1. 0
    Gods Gardenposted 7 years ago

List a defining moment in your life that changed you forever...

1. fierycj profile image84
      fierycjposted 7 years ago in reply to this

I have a couple of those...got a gun pointed at my head, and the guy didnt shoot cause he was so impressed that I didnt flinch. He said most guys always flinched or begged or something. Fancy thinking I was a tough guy and laughing at sissys in movies and real life, and to finally prove to myself that I had the minerals. It felt good. And it happened twice on. I've lost my two sisters two - very defining. It stays with you till your grave. Don't let anyone tell you different.

2. TrinaLynne profile image77
      TrinaLynneposted 7 years ago in reply to this

A defining moment for me is when I had my daughter at 15 going on 16. I knew at that point that I had to become a parent and nothing less. I also knew that being a young parent I had to raise my child beyond the best of my ability.

2. Capable Woman profile image81
    Capable Womanposted 7 years ago

The night I met my girlfriend...I instantly and definitively began to believe in true love...though I only realized much later that this idea had come to me that night.

Weird how you can have a revelation but not even realize you have had it until later.

3. Eaglekiwi profile image74
    Eaglekiwiposted 7 years ago

My mother died when I was 13 yrs old , that changed me, re-arranged me ,defined me big time! smile

1. lyla profile image62
      lylaposted 7 years ago in reply to this

Eaglekiwi..moms are the backbone of a family and your support.Losing her at such a tiny age,I just cannot even imagine.You must have been brave to grow up and cope without her support.Hugs.

1. Eaglekiwi profile image74
        Eaglekiwiposted 7 years ago in reply to this

Thankyou for the hugs and yes youre right ,they are the backbone ,but my dad was the other major support and he bravely raised four daughters and never married again either. I wasnt brave ,no not at all,I was scared  shitless, but feel the fear and do it anyway, live that is ( darn I wished Id written that book) lol

4. AEvans profile image72
    AEvansposted 7 years ago

Losing a parent to drunk-driving , which I wrote about.

1. Eaglekiwi profile image74
      Eaglekiwiposted 7 years ago in reply to this

aww Im sorry to hear that AE,no wonder you have a caring soul

2. lyla profile image62

AEvans..it must have been traumatic!I'll give it a read.So sorry to hear this !Hugs.

5. Pest profile image60
    Pestposted 7 years ago

My SGT Major called into his office and asked if I wanted to go to Bosnia with him or Korea....He needed an answer right now.

6. KCC Big Country profile image84
    KCC Big Countryposted 7 years ago

Losing my son in 2003, which I have written about as well.

1. lyla profile image62

KCC..I have no words!Sorry..may God grant you strength and peace.I have not read what you wrote,but will do so now.Hugs.

7. Eaglekiwi profile image74
    Eaglekiwiposted 7 years ago

To all the sons and daughters who lost parents ,and grew into beautiful people!! I salute you cool cool

8. VioletSun profile image69
    VioletSunposted 7 years ago

Meeting my current lifemate; was not blessed in love for most of my life. We both are deeply spiritual and curious about learning, so we have plenty to talk and explore which is boring to most of our friends. smile

9. packerpack profile image60
    packerpackposted 7 years ago

Waiting for one!!!!

10. 0
    dennisemattposted 7 years ago

Misscarriage on Easter Sunday when I was 19.

11. Pete Maida profile image61
    Pete Maidaposted 7 years ago

The last time I was laid off.  It was 37 years ago and I made a decision to leave my hometown and start a career as a computer programmer trainee.  It was the best decision I ever made.

Getting my black belt in martial arts.  For some reason that one event gave me more confidence to do everything from getting my writing out to doing public speaking.

12. 0
    Gods Gardenposted 7 years ago

Great Posts!!! Please Continue! Thanks Hubbers!!

13. Innovator820 profile image61
    Innovator820posted 7 years ago

My defining moment was when I saw my hub published.

14. 0
    Leta Sposted 7 years ago

Getting ill with a mystery illness that slowly subsided, basically because I willed it to, I think.  I was attending more and more graduate school when it happened, hoping to be a professor.  And I remember an art instructor of mine telling me that it wasn't worth it--she had just gotten tenure and she was 50--as this is what it was like for MFA's.

After being sicker than I ever have been, I decided I had to LIVE.  So I moved to NYC, got published, bought property, have traveled and have done a number of things I wanted to do.  Still working on others...

15. Nanny J.O.A.T. profile image92
    Nanny J.O.A.T.posted 7 years ago

The moment I graduated from Basic Training!

I finally came to the realization that it was real - not a summer camp from hell. I really could go to war and that was in 1985!
    The sense of responsibility was overwhelming

16. trish1048 profile image81
    trish1048posted 7 years ago

Having the cold barrel of a gun pressed against my neck during a holdup.