jump to last post 1-7 of 7 discussions (11 posts)

Referrals: If someone is visiting my page and signs up what happens?!

1. girly_girl09 profile image77
    girly_girl09posted 8 years ago

I have been wondering for quite some time what happens if say someone is searching on google and finds one of my pages because my link on google doesn't have my referral ID.

So, if someone signs up directly after visiting one of my hubs, would I get them as a referral? I hope so! If not, I think it should. big_smile

Anyways, I would love to know the correct answer to this!

I am working on back links, but if you put your referral ID in the link, it won't count because it is a different address. sad

1. sunstreeks profile image82
      sunstreeksposted 8 years ago in reply to this

I was wondering about that. Is it counterproductive to work on backlinks if there is the referral ID in it?

2. girly_girl09 profile image77

I hope someone knows the answer to this! big_smile

3. Misha profile image75
    Mishaposted 8 years ago

I remember Paul saying that they use 301 redirect on tracker links, so you should be ok smile

And no, to the best o my knowledge links without trackers do not produce referrals...

4. girly_girl09 profile image77

Ok, so it should be ok to put referral codes when building back links?

Sigh....I don't want to create lots of traffic and miss out on any potential sign-ups! big_smile

1. darkside profile image81
      darksideposted 8 years ago in reply to this

There are some social bookmarking sites that don't like referral trackers.

If you're using them in your own sites and such it shouldn't be a problem though.

1. lyla profile image60
        lylaposted 8 years ago in reply to this

Darkside..I just went through your referral hubs..they were great!I got it now!But,I would like to know whether I should put a tracker on each of my hubs, as I get a few Google search and yahoo answers..how do I put it?Sorry to be so very dumb..sad

5. Misha profile image75
    Mishaposted 8 years ago

Well, don't take my word on this, I almost never use referrals. Find darkside's hub on trackers, he should cover all questions... smile

6. girly_girl09 profile image77

But, will using the ID when building backlinks help PR?

The URL's would be different with the referral ID.

1. johnr54 profile image51
      johnr54posted 8 years ago in reply to this

As Misha suggested, Paul stated that they are a 301 redirect, which should count as a link in the search engines.  Here's the previous discussion on this topic.

http://hubpages.com/forum/topic/1707#post8575

7. darkside profile image81
    darksideposted 8 years ago

Thanks to Misha and johnr54 for the information and the link.

working