jump to last post 1-14 of 14 discussions (15 posts)

Have you ever smuggled something in or out a country?

1. cindyvine profile image85
    cindyvineposted 7 years ago

My best one of many, was defying the $2000 limit we were allowed to take out the country.  I had the $2000 in my bag and declared that, but failed to declare the $5000 I had stuffed into a maternity sanitary pad and wore as I walked through customs and immigration.  Removed it once the plane was safely in the air.

2. The_Drizzle profile image59
    The_Drizzleposted 7 years ago

I have seen way, waaay too many episodes of locked up abroad to even think about smuggling things in and out of countries anymore.

Wait, are you a cop??  This is a setup isn't it?!

3. blondepoet profile image79
    blondepoetposted 7 years ago

I smuggled a man in my suitcase, I was lucky he never beeped.

4. earnestshub profile image86
    earnestshubposted 7 years ago

Too high a risk, and usually there is a good reason behind customs laws.

5. secondreview profile image59
    secondreviewposted 7 years ago

A big risk and could end up with a record if Customs catches you.  They just love it when they find something.

6. cindyvine profile image85

yeah, but sometimes you just have to especially when there is a limit on how much money you can take out and there is no other way to get the money out

1. earnestshub profile image86
      earnestshubposted 7 years ago in reply to this

I don't know why you needed more money, or what country or countries you went to, but if the law was dumb, you could not use a card, then I guess it is OK to break the law in my opinion!

7. Princessa profile image87
    Princessaposted 7 years ago

Food: frozen Tamales from Peru being the most outrageous smile

8. Pearldiver profile image86
    Pearldiverposted 7 years ago

I do know First Hand that the Mayor of Bumble Town smuggled his 'shortest' councillor across the border of MataMata. But was stopped for something totally different! They noticed that he had a Limp and on closer inspection found that he was trying get a sheep through as well hidden in his left shoe.

9. cindyvine profile image85

Ah Pearldiver, so I am right about Matamata!

10. Christa Dovel profile image89
    Christa Dovelposted 7 years ago

Fireworks (bottle rockets) into Canada, and oranges into California. 
    Of course, the only person who knew there were fireworks in the vehicle was asleep when we crossed the boarder.  The oranges?  We thought we had eaten them all before reaching the boarder.

11. Lissie profile image87
    Lissieposted 7 years ago

More than once I have smuggled cash into and out of a country. Was that NZ you smuggled out cash out of Cindy - I think that law was abolished in the 80's - I was too young otherwise would have definitly been in breach of it.

I have smuggled local currency into Syria and Laos - purely because the exchange rate was great! The only place I'd be worried about being searched as a woman would be the West - other countries won't dare touch me.

12. cindyvine profile image85

No, was Angola.  We were paid in cash, and then you weren't allowed to take the money out the country when you went home for holidays

13. helenathegreat profile image86
    helenathegreatposted 7 years ago

My best friend brought back tea leaves from Peru, not realizing that the was so "addictively good" because it was made from the coca plant (which, by the way, is what cocaine is made of).  So she smuggled in coca leaves completely accidentally.

14. Benjimester profile image88
    Benjimesterposted 7 years ago

I've actually smuggled quite a bit sad  When I was on my way to SouthEast Asia, at the airport even, my friend handed me a wad of $5,000 and told me to keep it in my pocket because each person had a limit of $7,000 and he had too much money on him, haha.  Needless to say, I just stuck out my hand in speechless shock and put the HUGE STINKIN wad of cash in my pocket, haha.  Thanks for the reminder of the funny story.