How much of your personal life do you reveal on the internet?

Jump to Last Post 1-20 of 20 discussions (34 posts)
  1. cindyvine profile image69
    cindyvineposted 14 years ago

I know I reveal way way too much.  Everybody knows I make sausages.

1. profile image0
      A.M. Gwynnposted 14 years agoin reply to this

This is an interesting question and one I sometimes worry over.
      Did I say too much? Could this come back to take a chunk out of me? Enough horror stories exist that should be cautionary tales to everyone who writes online. Having webpages, hubpages, even those seemingly insignificant comments we make can have repurcussions.

Many employers, existing or potential, also admit now that they "Google" employees names to get a better idea of who they may or may not employ.

It certainly makes one stop to think before they start typing. Which isn't such a bad thing really. :0)

2. alekhouse profile image72
      alekhouseposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Very funny! Do you really? Haven't been on here long enough to know. But writing is a very personal thing and sometimes we reveal stuff about ourselves without even realizing it. Of course, If you're in business (especially on line) or want to publish, then building a brand is important and so having your name. etc. out there becomes important.

3. countrywomen profile image59
      countrywomenposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Cindy- I actually started a similar thread: http://hubpages.com/forum/topic/13143

My husband and my brother both are aware of my profile hence I try to be a bit careful. Besides that I work in a large company and a bit concerned about any fall out I may have if I ever reveal any inappropriate information. smile

2. blondepoet profile image68
    blondepoetposted 14 years ago

Yes I am guilty too am like an open book,I figure it this way if I ever forget part of what happened in my life I can look it up on Hubpages

3. profile image0
    ralwusposted 14 years ago

I have left my ass hang out too.

1. blondepoet profile image68
      blondepoetposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Haha yes C.C you certainly have let it all hang out, no-one is complaining though ROFL (hugs)

4. Lisa HW profile image62
    Lisa HWposted 14 years ago

I think, in spite of writing a lot of words that would seem to indicate I'm fairly open about my personal life, I reveal far less than it seems.

On the one hand, I'm pretty free to share ancient-history emotional experiences that are now old and have no more impact on me than, say, my eye color does.  I share that I have three grown kids because that's my way of letting people know roughly how old I am.  I share that I've adopted one child because adoption is kind of a "cause" for me.  I share where I live and then a bunch of small stuff that doesn't mean much (although, of course, someone could put together a picture if they wanted to bother).  In spite of all that apparent sharing, though, I realize that there's a whole person and life I just don't share on the Internet.  I also use an altered name that people in my community or my kids' friends wouldn't recognize.  I'm often kind of teetering between feeling free to share what I think experiences have taught me and Internet-shyness.   (Oops - I just realized there was no "other hand"   smile  )

1. brad4l profile image70
      brad4lposted 14 years agoin reply to this

This is my take on it as well, as I try to not give away too much information that could be used to track me down, while still sharing my experiences and being myself.

I think my biggest security breach, or fo-paw(sic) as it were, is that this is infact a real picture of my dog.

Definition: fo-paw - dog for Fopaux smile

5. cindyvine profile image69
    cindyvineposted 14 years ago

I am trying to make Cindy Vine a brand as that's the name I write my books under, so you have to put it out there on the net.

6. Lisa HW profile image62
    Lisa HWposted 14 years ago

I've kind of aimed for the "brand thing" too; although for me a lot of my stuff online is not my most professional stuff (and yet some stuff I would want associated with the name).  I guess I more branded my hobby writing after the fact - or something like that.

7. profile image0
    ralwusposted 14 years ago

Well, I too am branded. Nicely so. hehe

8. Lissie profile image76
    Lissieposted 14 years ago

It wouldn't take a genius to find me-my name is my name and I share it with my blog which I promote here. If someone can't find a person with my surname in a town of 1 million they are pretty hopeless LOL

1. profile image0
      ralwusposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Your surname is certainly unique. LOL I was shocked!

1. Lissie profile image76
        Lissieposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Shocked? Its extremely common in some very small village in Lancashire

1. profile image0
          ralwusposted 14 years agoin reply to this

hahaah Well that may be true, but I bet ya had fun in school. In any case you would have here in the States. hehe I reckon there's worse tho'. LOL Can't recall one now ye got me laughin' so. hehe

9. Misha profile image63
    Mishaposted 14 years ago

I guess almost all of it, except for my exact address, phone number, SSN, and credit card numbers smile

10. Lgali profile image56
    Lgaliposted 14 years ago

I think full name should be avoided all the time

1. Pete Maida profile image61
      Pete Maidaposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Yeah you're proabably right I guess I'm risking it some throwing it all out there.

1. countrywomen profile image59

Pete in your case it is ok. If someone is a serious/professional writer then hub pages can work like a portfolio. One would need as much popularity as possible and if hubpages is increasing that then it should work out for you. Anyway I have seen the older a person gets the more comfortable one becomes with discussing/revealing everything in life.

I tend to err on the side of caution and have revealed my name/photo/real profile only to a few selected hubbers with whom I feel safe/comfortable. I guess each person has a right to determine what level of privacy he/she wants to have(ultimately if anything negative happens then it is that individual who is affected and responsible to begin with). Just my two cents. smile

PS: I don't think hubpages is like a dating site where real profile like name/photo/marital status and all those other personal details need to be provided compulsorily.

11. Pete Maida profile image61
    Pete Maidaposted 14 years ago

I put a lot of myself in my writing.  I relate issues to personal experiences almost by instinct.  I also like to write about things in my life both good and bad.  I probably dump a whole lot of me here at HubPages and I appreciate how it has been accepted.

12. profile image0
    nazishnasimposted 14 years ago

Question : Does hubpages allow you to change your username? I'll let you know why I am interested once I et the answer! big_smile

13. Mireille G profile image60
    Mireille Gposted 14 years ago

I think we can tell right away who reveals more or less although it can be fake, I think most of the people who put their own photo will tend to reveal more.
    Funny coming from someone who has not yet filled in her profile. It is my name, my photo and like Lissie I can be found all over with that name. But this time I thought I would wait and see how much I wanted to tell. I would find it hard to write something that is not "me". I am not well suited to adopt other persona.

Actually I feel safer in revealing more since now nobody can track me and only relate to those experiences I am talking about. If I had my own name/picture then since I am working for a large company then it is certainly possible to be recognized.

PS: I tend to discuss a lot about my family, friends and work. smile

14. Sally's Trove profile image79
    Sally's Troveposted 14 years ago

How much to reveal on the Internet, or in any other public venue, is always a dilemma for a writer.  (God forbid Aunt Jane should REALLY know what I think of her!...maybe I should wait until she dies to tell THAT one.)

Beyond the challenges associated with maintaining personal safety or creating a focused brand are those challenges that could have a negative impact on others who are close to us.

Anyone who cares to follow me around on HP knows that I have a daughter and a best friend who are also Hubbers. The last thing in the world I would do would be to reveal anything personal about myself regarding them that would cast a negative light on them, or worse, cause them humiliation, hurt, or doubt about either me or themselves.

This fence we all must balance upon is not a rigid, safe place.  To write, we must be true to ourselves, but at the same time, those who don't deserve to be hurt should not be the vehicles for our need to reveal.

1. AEvans profile image70
      AEvansposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I have learned hence I continue to have a stalker and I wrote about how to be safe on the internet due to my circumstance and hard lesson. I revealed me until yesterday, when I thought my sicko just may very well be enjoying the pic and that made me ill to my stomach. My name is not exact but most know what my true first name is and that is all that counts. smile

1. profile image0
        A.M. Gwynnposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I am wondering about the stalker issue here on hubpages. Is there any recourse, or does hubpages have something in place to deal with those people?

15. sheenarobins profile image60
    sheenarobinsposted 14 years ago

I reveal way too much. I cannot be otherwise but truthful. This is what I am made of. My past, who I am, what I want to be is the only authentic thing I can share to the world.

I remember one night when I read my hubs again knowing that I will be deleting them soon. I had tears in my eyes, I'm gonna miss my hubs. My first venture into the world of writing. I have wrote every piece with love in the hope to contribute, learn and let other people see my light.

I am getting emotional, I know. Blame it with the hormones. smile

16. profile image0
    girly_girl09posted 14 years ago

I never use my name because once something is on the internet, it's there forever. I've paid to have stuff removed from when I was younger via reputation defender (nothing crazy just my name on pet game profiles and what not lol...not very professional).

The only stuff found on me when googling my name are items that I want future employers and associates to see.

There are some derogatory blog entries by political bloggers about me, but that is out of my control! The other side can get pretty nasty. lol Luckily, people understand this.

I don't want certain articles and opinion pieces to be attached to my name because of the line of work I do. For example, I cringe at the thought of a future employer or associate discovering that I wrote an article about hello kitty credit cards! lol

If that wasn't the case, I wouldn't mind using my name and saying where I was from. smile

17. cashmere profile image77
    cashmereposted 14 years ago

I used to be very guarded initially, now i share as much as i would with my off line friends. At times I consider getting a secret id online to just vent and go crazy. Then i think its just not worth the effort!

18. raiderfan profile image60
    raiderfanposted 14 years ago

I try to be honest wid evryone.

19. lumberjack profile image67
    lumberjackposted 14 years ago

i share experiences cause they make me seem badass

20. soni2006 profile image76
    soni2006posted 14 years ago

not much..... I have learned a lesson.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)