A Book Signing!!!!!!!!

Jump to Last Post 1-33 of 33 discussions (52 posts)
  1. RGraf profile image87
    RGrafposted 14 years ago

I've got a book signing scheduled for my first ever published book.  I'm so excited.  We are getting some good responses on it and are hoping to have some local write ups in the paper soon.  Though I have to admit that the marketing part is harder than the writing.

1. AEvans profile image72
      AEvansposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I am soooooo excited for you!!! Congrats big_smile

2. Rochelle Frank profile image89
      Rochelle Frankposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Congratulations-- and you are right about the marketing. The good thing is you have a niche. There are lots of Christian bookstores.

Have a great signing! It is a lot of fun. Make sure you have some bookmarks made up with your contact info.

1. KT pdx profile image70
        KT pdxposted 14 years agoin reply to this

You could also send out a press release to churches in your area and see if they want to buy a copy for their library/Sunday School program.

1. Rochelle Frank profile image89
          Rochelle Frankposted 14 years agoin reply to this

That's a great idea-- I know Rgraf lives in a rural area-- but there are always churches. They might even give you a chance to present a program.

3. Maddie Ruud profile image72
      Maddie Ruudposted 14 years agoin reply to this

This is HUGE, RGraf!!! Congratulations!

4. anjalichugh profile image67
      anjalichughposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Congratulations and all the best! I've gone through this marketing stuff...it definitely is tougher than writing. smile)

5. marriedwoman profile image71
      marriedwomanposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Wow! that sounds really exciting...good luck..

6. Patty Inglish, MS profile image91
      Patty Inglish, MSposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Congratulations; this is simply the best!

2. cashmere profile image77
    cashmereposted 14 years ago

That's great news! Congrats!

3. Lucey Knight profile image60
    Lucey Knightposted 14 years ago

Congratulations!!!  Much success to you.

4. profile image0
    Feline Prophetposted 14 years ago

What's the book about RGraf? Hope you get to work your fingers to the bone! All the best. smile

1. RGraf profile image87
      RGrafposted 14 years agoin reply to this

It is called A Gift for a Mouse (link on my profile page) and is about a little mouse watching the last supper.  It was originally published on HubPages and is the first of a series.  A friend of mine illustrated it.

5. Lisa HW profile image62
    Lisa HWposted 14 years ago

Congratulations!  Hope you find it an enjoyable time.

6. Dame Scribe profile image56
    Dame Scribeposted 14 years ago

Do we autographs too smile congratulations big_smile

7. KT pdx profile image70
    KT pdxposted 14 years ago

That's awesome!  What's the book?  Are you self-publishing, or who are you publishing through?

1. RGraf profile image87

It's called a Gift for a Mouse (see profile page).  I am self-published.  I went through CreateSpace which a division of Amazon.  Therefore, my book is also being marketed by Amazon.  This company got great reviews from everyone (including people on HubPages).

1. KT pdx profile image70
        KT pdxposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Thanks.  I just looked at their site, and I think that's what I'm going to use, too.  Good luck with the signing and marketing!  smile

1. RGraf profile image87

Good luck, too.  Let me know how it goes.

8. Shalini Kagal profile image55
    Shalini Kagalposted 14 years ago

Great RGraf - congratulations!

9. maidouxixi profile image61
    maidouxixiposted 14 years ago

Congratulations!I will be your supporter all the time `````tongue

10. dianacharles profile image61
    dianacharlesposted 14 years ago

Congrats........awesome work.

11. jimmythejock profile image85
    jimmythejockposted 14 years ago

Fantastic News, great to see all of your hard work pay off, you go girl and enjoy every moment of your success.....jimmy
    P.S where can I get a hold of a signed copy? lol

1. RGraf profile image87

Anytime!  Just say the word.  It is all due to HubPages that this ever happened.

12. Joelle Burnette profile image70
    Joelle Burnetteposted 14 years ago

Congrats! How long did it take you to get your book published?

1. RGraf profile image87

I went the self-publishing route with CreateSpace.  The whole process with proof copies and editing took about 2 months.  A friend of mine edited it and then I sent it off for publishing.  CreateSpace says it takes about 3 weeks to print and ship, but I got it in less than a week which I think is outstanding.

13. ripplemaker profile image77
    ripplemakerposted 14 years ago

Congratulations!!! That is so cool!  big_smile

14. Triplet Mom profile image68
    Triplet Momposted 14 years ago

Congratulations!!

15. kbristow01 profile image60
    kbristow01posted 14 years ago

Congratulations, that's great news, I hope it is successful for you! smile

16. Ladybird33 profile image66
    Ladybird33posted 14 years ago

Keep us posted so I can learn from your experiences.  I am soooo happy for you!!!  Huge accomplishment.

17. RGraf profile image87
    RGrafposted 14 years ago

Thank you ALL for your support and encouragement.  To be honest the hardest part is the marketing and it is scary because that is not my strong suit, but then neither was writing.  I'm learning thanks to many people who have been down this road already and is not hesitant to give advice.

1. profile image0
      Leta Sposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Congrats, RGraf!

And actually, the marketing part (at least for the signing) is easier than the book writing.  lol  It's what I do.  You need to put together a professional press release and/or press kit and send it to all your local papers, regional magazines, libraries, book stores, etc. (you can research how to online).  Churches--that's good, too....

Include an author's bio, photo, something colorful and eye catching--a color copy of the book, perhaps.... Maybe get some stuff up on some websites with good traffic.  Give free readings at children's libraries and publicize them.  Contact local radio stations/church stations and see if they'll do some kind of segment on you.  Or public access television.

At the signing, also--you are always more popular if you have a little food!  smile  Can vouch for that one!

18. Eaglekiwi profile image76
    Eaglekiwiposted 14 years ago

I am so happy for you, Congratulations!!! smile

19. Mighty Mom profile image77
    Mighty Momposted 14 years ago

Look at all the cute felines on this forum! Must be all the talk about a "mouse" that brought them out:-). Seriously, that is an awesome accomplishment, RGraf. I am so impressed!
    It's exciting to know another bona fide, published author! MM

20. Frieda Babbley profile image81
    Frieda Babbleyposted 14 years ago

Congratulations.  Took a look at the discription page and it sounds delightful.  Good luck.

21. SweetiePie profile image81
    SweetiePieposted 14 years ago

Congratulations RGraf!  I think the good part about having your book on amazon is the potential for people from all over the world to order your book at any given time.  Of course you will have to market it in other ways if you really want to make a profit, but I am sure you are on your way.

22. Rochelle Frank profile image89
    Rochelle Frankposted 14 years ago

Yes, snacks and punch. Or in the case of a book with a Last Supper theme-- grape juice (wine) and bread might be appropriate.

23. KCC Big Country profile image83
    KCC Big Countryposted 14 years ago

Congrats!  How terribly exciting for you! We're all envious!

24. dipless profile image68
    diplessposted 14 years ago

Congrats thats fantastic, hope all the marketing is a success and the sales just keep on coming in smile

25. RGraf profile image87
    RGrafposted 14 years ago

Again, thank you all for your support and encouragement.

The book signing location is a local coffee shop and from what I've heard every one she has done has turned out great.  I'll make sure that some food is available.  That always does seem to work.

A lot of marketing help is coming from the illustrator who owns his own tattoo shop and does a lot of marketing and a friend who owns several highly successful online businesses.  We are giving promotional copies to our local bookstores and library.  The editor of it is the editor for the local paper and she might see about getting it written up. 

I'm also looking at making bookmarks to go with it and a starter charm bracelet so when each book in the series comes out you can buy a charm for the book's main character.  I love to make jewelry so that won't be hard for me at.

Our website for the book also is a chance to give promotional coupons and affiliate marketing to help word of mouth.

Thank you for all the great suggestions.  I appreciate any help I can get because this is a whole new world for me.

26. DonnaCSmith profile image83
    DonnaCSmithposted 14 years ago

Book signings are so much fun! And yes, the marketing is the hard part of writing!

27. cindyvine profile image69
    cindyvineposted 14 years ago

Well done RGraf!  Excellento!  Please let me know if you come up with some great marketing tricks, as that's what I'm really needing!  Marketing from China is so difficult!  Hey Lita!  maybe you can give me some ideas as well?  I'm currently working with Createspace as well!

28. megs78 profile image60
    megs78posted 14 years ago

Hey RGraf, congratulation on your new book. That is great.  Perhaps you could share the secret as to how you got published?smile  I've been trying to get published for years now, but keep getting the same response; the childrens book market is not viable in todays economy and we are not currently publishing any childrens books.

Do you have any tips or advice? 

Thanks in advance.

Megs

1. RGraf profile image87

I looked at the standard publishers and most were not wanting any new writers.  So, a friend of mine has self-published his books.  I looked into it and decided that CreateSpace was the way to go for me since my book would then be available on Amazon. 

The children's book market is flooded with books.  So the book needs to be unique.  With mine, I've never found anyone who wrote anything close to it so mine will stand out.  the best test is to give it to a child in the age group you are targeting and get their response.  To be honest, I wrote mine first for HubPages and the response was so big that several close friends encouraged me to publish it.  I asked my children and a few of their friends.  That got the ball rolling.

1. megs78 profile image60
        megs78posted 14 years agoin reply to this

Hey again, thanks for rseponding.  But did u publish your story to hubpages so everyone could read it?  Were you worried about someone stealing it?  I would def do that if I thought that it wouldnt get copied.  How do you make sure?  I've ahd my book read to children and a copy has been read by at least a hundred people and i have had great feedback, even by a publishing house, but rejected it for money issues in printing picture books.  so i think it would bode well. is it really safe to publish it to hubpages?  thanks for your info

1. RGraf profile image87

HubPages has dates on when I published it so that it would be protected from stealing.  I periodically went out to see if it had been copied anywhere and never could find it.  When I published the book and copyrighted it, I took it off HubPages then.

1. megs78 profile image60
            megs78posted 14 years agoin reply to this

thanks again RGraf and congratulations on your book, I'm happy for you.  You are an inspiration to me to keep trying to get published.  smile

29. cindyvine profile image69
    cindyvineposted 14 years ago

It is a great feeling to publish a book.  It's definitely the marketing after that's the most challenging part!

30. RedElf profile image90
    RedElfposted 14 years ago

Congratulations RGraf. That is quite an accomplishment. You certainly give us hope.

31. RGraf profile image87
    RGrafposted 14 years ago

I am glad others are taking encouragement from this.  I was so scared to do it, but once I took the leap I loved it.

Write something unique.
    Edit really well.
    Get comments from indented audience.
    Use others hubbers for tips and suggestions.  They love to help.
    Don't give up!

I sold my second copy today and marketing has barely started.

32. onthewriteside profile image60
    onthewritesideposted 14 years ago

Congrats RGraf!  I, too, just published my first book...it's an alternative history fiction novel called "First Testament---The Stones of Knowing" and is due out in print this August or September at the latest.  I chose the self-publishing route as well, but decided to use the services of a self-publishing house.  It cost me a few bucks but with all the services they provide, I felt it was worth it.  I have a summary of the book on one of my hubs, if anyone is interested.  And as for Megs78...if you still have questions about getting published, I also have a hub describing the self-publishing process, why I chose it over traditional publishing, and which house I decided to go with.  Just search for "onthewriteside" or click on my profile pic and you can find them both.  Good luck to all!

33. Enelle Lamb profile image73
    Enelle Lambposted 14 years ago

Congratulation RGraf! How exciting for you! You are right...marketing is the hard part...

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)