jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (5 posts)

Will my Hubpages articles be flagged if they are published elsewhere?

1. megs78 profile image60
    megs78posted 7 years ago

I recently started writing for a magazine and was supposed to submit a certain article on a certain topic, but am behind on the deadline.  so instead, I submitted an article that I had already written and that is published here in HubPages.  Will my article get flagged as copied if I do that, or since it is mine, does it matter?  I just don't want to submit a piece and then have the editor come after me saying its copied content.  that would be embarrassing.

thanks for any info

1. AdeleCosgroveBray profile image88
      AdeleCosgroveBrayposted 7 years ago in reply to this

Check the legal contract with your magazine.  If you have signed your First Rights to them, you've breached your contract and therefore, in theory, could be sued.  A more likely reaction from the magazine is that they would (a) demand their money back, or (b) decline to employ you again.

If an article/poem/story/photo/etc. is online, it is considered published.

As Ivorwen suggested, your best course of action now would be to swiftly delete this article from its current internet site.

2. Ivorwen profile image84
    Ivorwenposted 7 years ago

My guess would be that magazines are looking for original content.  If I where you, I would take the article off-line and remove traces of it from on-line.  There is a way of removing things from search engines view -- I saw a thread about it yesterday here, on the forum.

Edit:  Found the thread -- http://hubpages.com/forum/topic/15643

3. megs78 profile image60
    megs78posted 7 years ago

thanks you two,

good info, I appreciate that.  I will definitely delete.  Don't want to be sued for submitting my own work.  Strange world we live in eh?

4. advisor4qb profile image79
    advisor4qbposted 7 years ago

In reading your question, I see that the answers you were given were in keeping only the terms of your agreement with your employer.  I think the question you are asking is if hubpages will flag your account as copied.  The terms of your agreement with hubpages allow you to keep intellectual rights to the copy and you can unpublish it at any time.