jump to last post 1-9 of 9 discussions (15 posts)

Anyone on LinkedIn?

1. RooBee profile image84
    RooBeeposted 7 years ago

Just wondering if any of you are on Linked In? If so, do you find it beneficial and how so?

1. 0
      ralwusposted 7 years ago in reply to this

I don't know a ting about it but you sure look hawt in that new avatar! Woo-hoo

2. girly_girl09 profile image79
    girly_girl09posted 7 years ago

I have a linkedin account. Good for keeping in touch with former co-workers and referrals for consulting projects, job offers, etc. It's common to place your linkedin URL on resumes, too. It gives HR staff a quick look at your network and they can quickly match up names on your references.

I've also used it to tap into a lot of fundraising prospects for political campaigns.

Other than that, it's basically like facebook without it getting too personal. Honestly, I absolutely hate the fact that many former co-workers now have facebook and added me. I don't really use facebook anymore because it's like my privacy is gone! LinkedIn accomplishes the networking without sacrificing the privacy.

1. nyliram profile image60
      nyliramposted 7 years ago in reply to this
  3. RooBee profile image84
    RooBeeposted 7 years ago

Thanks, girly girl. Good insights that I truly appreciate you sharing.

4. Lisa HW profile image83
    Lisa HWposted 7 years ago

I signed up for Linked In, but a couple of weeks later I linked out.  I didn't see the purpose of it.   There were all kinds of discussions that weren't what I thought I'd signed up for, and there was the thing about strangers inviting other strangers to "be pals" - but the people I ran into weren't even remotely related to my own work/interests.   Helium had hyped it up quite a bit, and I had some inaccurate expectation about what it was.  It just filled up my e.mail with a bunch of pointless discussions, and I don't even know how I ended up "inheriting" them.  Every time I try that type of site I end up "just getting mean" (grouchy) about getting all kinds of stuff I don't care about, and not knowing what I'm supposed to be doing, and pretending I'm interested in stuff I'm not, etc. etc.  I have to learn to stop even trying.   smile

Honestly this thing has caused me so much trouble, I have people from here hacking into my PC> Don't waste time, have complained.

1. Lisa HW profile image83
        Lisa HWposted 7 years ago in reply to this

That was part of my thing.  I can't say I knew about any hacking into my PC, but I was having "funny" stuff (like new, unfamiliar, goings on) going on that hadn't gone on previously.  I don't think it was anything serious, but I did get the feeling my PC and/or e.mail address were far more "linked in" than I had anticipated.

You will find that they were linked to the point people could get into your e mail but not the messages they were way to dumb to do that, but make sure you have a secure seal and passwaord. As they are able to use your e mail address to send messages to each other.
          Don't ask me how but they do. Those messages say that they are establishing the Worlds biggest link, only prob they can't write a simple programme and the syntax errors are meaning failure. Why do people bother, just found out it is to extract personal inform ation for databases wordwide. I read it in a message that I decided to open.

5. 0
    \Brenda Scullyposted 7 years ago

I thought it was a tablet, came on to say prozac is that any good.... oops better get  outa here, i am on the wrong wave lenghth altogether, good day x

1. Lisa HW profile image83
      Lisa HWposted 7 years ago in reply to this

That's funny.   smile           (It looks like you're not "linked in", then, eh? )

6. Ladybird33 profile image72
    Ladybird33posted 7 years ago

If you are looking for a job, it's a great tool.  Howevever, people that you don't want to find you, will find you on this site.  I used it for job purpose only but now I don't keep up with it.  Good luck.

7. 0
    \Brenda Scullyposted 7 years ago

no not yet anyway.....

8. RooBee profile image84
    RooBeeposted 7 years ago

Oh, Ralwus, you have made me smile, see? ---> big_smile

Thanks everyone, for the responses. I'm only going to add people I actually know (or am confident of their being legit) as connections.

Sorry about the bad experiences! I am opted out of all email notifications from their site so if I get an email from them I guess I'll have an issue at that point.

Don't hate on me smile, but I'm a long-time and well-informed Mac loyalist and can guarantee you that nobody is getting into my computer. Not going to have a Mac/PC debate in the forums. Got too much good stuff for a hub about it, anyway. smile

9. johnb0127 profile image78
    johnb0127posted 7 years ago

Ive got a Linkedin.  Its a pretty cool site