jump to last post 1-7 of 7 discussions (8 posts)

How do you feel after you've published a really time-consuming hub?

1. 0
    wordscribe41posted 7 years ago

I have a lingering headache, I'm sleep-deprived, and I feel like I've just finished my dissertation.  I'm relieved, but faced with the proposition of starting the next one.  Ugh.

2. 0
    \Brenda Scullyposted 7 years ago

To be honest, i have only published small hubs, but when I see really long ones, with lots of pictures and so much work gone into them I actually feel exhausted for the person...... Going to look at your hub now..... maybe one day I will master the art of a doing a full length hub, then maybe sleep the rest of the day out..........

3. cindyvine profile image85
    cindyvineposted 7 years ago

I have a great feeling of accomplishment

4. Lisa HW profile image84
    Lisa HWposted 7 years ago

Maybe I don't put as much into mine as you do, but I just kind of feel "regular".   I often see it as a good time to go make another half-pot of coffee and/or move on to another type of work.  Of course, I think that could be because of my approach to writing Hubs.  Generally, I don't write one unless I'm "inspired".  Being inspired gives me a little blast of energy to just whip one up effortlessly.  That means that I'm never pushing myself to write something when I'm not already inspired, and it means just kind of "putting my brain on print".  It would probably be a different thing if I thought, "At 9:00 I'm going to write a Hub about shoes."  I do that if I have an article assignment, but that kind of writing isn't "emotionally exhausting".  It's kind of "mechanical". 

So, with the stuff that might potentially take more out of me, I'm not on a schedule, just incubate the thing until it turns into "inspiration", and go with the flow.     smile

1. 0
      wordscribe41posted 7 years ago in reply to this

I can definitely relate to the necessity of feeling inspired.  I think very often I am inspired, know what I want to write about, but then in-depth research wildly increases the scope of the hub.  I get carried away.  I love it, mind you...  In fact, I often feel a little sad when I'm done.  But, I'm always drained.

5. Lisa HW profile image84

I'd say I'm more happy than sad when I'm done.  I like the feeling that something has been accomplished.  Of course, for me, once research is introduced to the project the nature of it changes from "writing because it's fun" to "writing something that's like an assignment - only that's not an assignment".  For me, once research is needed it kicks all the inspiration out of it and makes it seem "impersonal".

I guess it's just because the process of writing from assimilated knowledge or else out of inspiration is very different from the process of writing a research-based thing.  This is going to sound really self-centered and awful (because it kind of is  smile  ), but when I write for enjoyment I only want it to be about what I, personally, have to offer.  Of course, these days, I'm kind of so burned out on writing stuff that other people want me to write, I need to exercise a little "freedom" for a while.   smile

6. frogdropping profile image84
    frogdroppingposted 7 years ago

My more - sensible - hubs are or rather were, time consuming. And I've only felt contentment at the published point.

I loved university for the same reason. I enjoy (very much so) researching. Even if the subject matter isn't always the most interesting.

7. Lisa HW profile image84

I've spent a whole lot of years researching, and a lot of the subjects weren't a barrel of laughs, to say the least (infectious diseases, parasites, marketing lab tests, etc. etc.).  I think where I am now is aiming to write a few things that I "just feel like" writing on sites like HubPages.  As it is, I'm still spending a good part of time writing stuff that other people want me to write.  Once I get this "free-time-is-for-me" stage out of my system I know I'll move on to another one.