jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (8 posts)

Just need to rant about contextual links

1. Whitney05 profile image67
    Whitney05posted 7 years ago

I just need to get this out because it's driving me nuts... I will admit to using contextual links- one or two or so- but I CAN'T STAND reading a hub or online article when every few words is a contextual link. It makes the hub/article hard to read.

I've found that when I find hubs that are as such, I just push the lovely back button. I can't concentrate to read the words because every few words has a phrase in blue. It's plain hard to concentrate.

I think that contextual links are fine spread throughout a full page of text, but when you have about 10 in the intro and then 3-5 within every paragraph thereafter that's excessive.

What makes me sad is when the hub/article is something that I think I'd enjoy or benefit from reading. If it's something I really wanted to read it, I would, right? Wrong... It's just plain hard to read with the blue links ALL FREAKIN' OVER. It's like people who use multi-color text throughout the same page- it's irritating...

Ok... I think I'm done. It's just something that's been bugging me. Curious as to how you guys think? Is it just me?

1. Laura Berwick profile image88
      Laura Berwickposted 7 years ago in reply to this

I agree, too many contextual links makes hubs look 'busy' and it is hard to concentrate. I also find too many likes and side capsules with text instead of photos to be similarily distracting. I have to be really motivated to read a hub to keep going when they are too many.

2. Reed Talonario profile image61
      Reed Talonarioposted 7 years ago in reply to this

I definitely agree, and not just on HubPages.  It makes me a little bit nuts when I find a website filled with those little red links that pop up an ad every other line when your cursor gets anywhere near them. 

I have absolutely no problem with some contextual links.  I don't even mind when they are obvious affiliate links.  In most cases, they are appreciated if they lead to something even remotely useful, but when I see more than ten staring at me, I immediately leave the page.  It gives the impression of being nothing but spammy advertising in my humble opinion.

2. dipless profile image85
    diplessposted 7 years ago

I totally agree, I only place a few to fill gaps in knowledge if it is a speciallized hub or to link to further reading in a hub if it adds on to the hub i am writing, otherwise use the link capsual.

3. lxxy profile image61
    lxxyposted 7 years ago

It depends on what type of hub it is for me.

I provide contextual links as easter eggs and drops for other hubs and hubbers.

Kontera is definitely out, though.

4. frogdropping profile image86
    frogdroppingposted 7 years ago

I've done it twice. For a reason. Other than that I don't bother.

I place links in link capsules. Where they (normally) belong.

1. lxxy profile image61
      lxxyposted 7 years ago in reply to this

I do, as well..but there's just something about the link capsule I don't like for a lot of stuff. I don't know what it is...but it definitely is a good capsule in general.

5. Whitney05 profile image67
    Whitney05posted 7 years ago

I will place maybe one or two in a hub, but not a full handful in every paragraph and two handfuls in every section.

It's just hard to concentrate when reading.

Contextual ads are a whole other issue.