jump to last post 1-6 of 6 discussions (13 posts)

No Profile Picture Hmmmm

1. babedoll50 profile image62
    babedoll50posted 7 years ago

I dont know about everybody else but there is something about going to someones profile and seeing the generic Hubpages profile on there thats a bit creepy.

When I dont see a profile picture to me it screams scam.  I know this isnt true in all cases but let me know how all of you feel about this.

1. AEvans profile image72
      AEvansposted 7 years ago in reply to this

Personally it is eerie to me as well, and you will not see me becoming a fan but only on occassion as something always seems to lurk behind it. I give newbies time, but if there isn't one there after a few weeks, I look the other way. smile

2. ProductReviewer profile image75
    ProductReviewerposted 7 years ago

I guess there has to be some picture. The generic one is not good enough (for me). But I would not like to show my real photo, since I don't want my colleagues and peers to know who I am.
    Also having your real photo might lead to prejudice. That's my opinion.

1. babedoll50 profile image62
      babedoll50posted 7 years ago in reply to this

Your picture to me is totally fine.  I understand if some people dont want to put their real pictures.  Its just that generic Hub picture that gets to me for some reason.

3. HealthCare Basics profile image82
    HealthCare Basicsposted 7 years ago

It really doesn't bother me at all either way, real photo or some graphic picture. But after some time communicating in forums, I do think it would be nice to have a real photo of that person. I guess it is a choice.

1. RedElf profile image84
      RedElfposted 7 years ago in reply to this

Generic seems to be rather slap dash. I enjoy seeing an actual photo, but a well-chosen avatar can speak volumes about character.

Not having an up-to-date pic, I opted to use a close-up of one of my pen and ink sketches that has resonances for my sisters and me.

4. JSwanson profile image60
    JSwansonposted 7 years ago

I think you are right.  I too dont like the generic picture not to mention its a bit of a trust issue.  If I see someone with a whole bunch of hubs, no fans and that picture I get feelings of someones up to no good.

Anyways I guess altogether it is up to them.  I choose not to use my real picture while others like yourself obviously choose the real picture.

It is what it is

5. RooBee profile image82
    RooBeeposted 7 years ago

I can't say that I like a real photo more than a graphic image, or vice-versa. I do agree that I'm not fond of the generic default image myself. Such a hubber would have to explain their lack of an avatar right at the beginning of their bio (or have a really intriguing/well-written bio) or I'd probably click away.
    There does have to be something there for me, too.

1. 0
      ralwusposted 7 years ago in reply to this

I sure do like your picure. Woo-hoo
      I like the adventure in the many avatars, such fun and all that rot. But id one chooses a generic, it's their right.

1. RooBee profile image82
        RooBeeposted 7 years ago in reply to this

First, thank you - always making me smile!
        True, it is their right. Selfishly though, I want to tie something to the person - be it a pic of a flounder or a recent headshot. I really like yours, too ralwus!!

2. Mrvoodoo profile image61
        Mrvoodooposted 7 years ago in reply to this

It looks like that donkey has bitten her hand clean off. big_smile

1. 0
          ralwusposted 7 years ago in reply to this

Now I always liked that one. LOL

6. 0
    ralwusposted 7 years ago

Gee thanks RooBee, I like your name too.