jump to last post 1-6 of 6 discussions (7 posts)

The Cloister, Cockpit, or something

1. Paraglider profile image90
    Paragliderposted 8 years ago

I'm wondering if it would be a good idea to have one Forum that was accessible only to registered logged-in users. A behind-the-bikesheds kind of place where folk that way inclined could beat each other up in private without airing the dirty linen in public forum. I'd have no  interest in going there myself, but it might be good for the public image of HP. Staff could simply move any thread that was getting out of hand into a private place where combatants could slug it out to their hearts' content.

1. 0
      simcoposted 8 years ago in reply to this

After what I've seen and read on the forums recently that may be a very good idea.

2. relache profile image88
    relacheposted 8 years ago

I think it would be better to encourage forum users to take private discussions to direct emails and not encourage people to think of this as a place where they can attack each other in front of an audience, public or restricted.

Or, perhaps HubPages could add a forum category called "the boxing ring" and then anything like that could just take place there.

3. Isabella Snow profile image87
    Isabella Snowposted 8 years ago

Or, people could just refrain from hijacking threads.

4. darkside profile image83
    darksideposted 8 years ago

If people could refrain from starting a thread that's picking a fight in the first place it would cut down the number of incidents.

5. Stacie Naczelnik profile image88
    Stacie Naczelnikposted 8 years ago

I think it is difficult for forums to stay peaceful all the time...sadly.

I think a lot of this could be avoided if things weren't taken personally.  If you really don't like how someone does something, simply ignore them.  Or, create healthy debate.

My two cents.  Not an invitation for another "fight".

6. Paraglider profile image90
    Paragliderposted 8 years ago

I didn't start this thread to talk about what 'people' should and shouldn't do. But many Forums have a 'sin-bin' where moderators can move threads that degenerate into ad hom attacks. We (or at least the Owners) can hide a hub that is out of order, so why not a discussion too? It would have the additional advantage of preventing the nasty stuff always bumping itself to the top, out of all proportion to its value to the community. Anyway, just a thought.