jump to last post 1-10 of 10 discussions (10 posts)

How many national holidays are celebrated where you live?

1. frogdropping profile image84
    frogdroppingposted 7 years ago

Maybe it's just me. But Portugal do know how to throw a good party. And the whole country seems to observe any/all national holidays in style.

Last week there were three different national days. Or maybe two and one was a practice party. It's hard to be sure sometimes.

Today they're celebrating the start of summer. More festivities. Though to me, summer started a while ago. There's others, strewn throughout the year. All involve fun, food and dedicated alcohol quaffing.

How many national holidays does your country celebrate?

2. packerpack profile image59
    packerpackposted 7 years ago

In India they are;
        * January 26, Republic Day: Marks the adoption of the Constitution.
        * August 15, Independence Day: Marks the day India achieved independence from the United Kingdom
        * October 2, Gandhi Jayanti: Birth Day of Mahatma Gandhi
    Source http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_ho … ntry#India

3. profile image0
    ralwusposted 7 years ago

With all the alcohol I lost count m'self.

4. lxxy profile image60
    lxxyposted 7 years ago

I second that, ralwus.

There's a new holiday anytime someone has enough money to pay off local and/or state and/or federal government.

5. frogdropping profile image84

There are 15 National Holidays. Including Christmas Day, New Years Day and Good Friday/Easter.

Then there's 25 Apr - Dia de Liberdade, 1 May - Dia do Trabalhor, 10 June - Dia de Portugal, 11 June - Corpo de Deus ... to name but a few.

And the above don't involve the likes of todays Summer Party or the one I went to where we celebrated the first wine of the season - whereby I got suitably leathered.

6. lxxy profile image60
    lxxyposted 7 years ago

Leather, eh? ;D

7. frogdropping profile image84

Drunk. Slightly.

It was great wine though ...

lol currently on stage at the celebration spot is an imitation Amy Whinehouse. A fella. Complete with beehive, glass of wine and tattoos.

Funny big_smile

8. lxxy profile image60
    lxxyposted 7 years ago

Better than that Brit guy? Ohhh, what is that bloke's name...eddie izzard!

9. Bard of Ely profile image87
    Bard of Elyposted 7 years ago

Seems to be every month where I am and some are extended like the ongoing midsummer festivals which culminate in the night of San Juan on the 23rd which is a massive celebration here! They had a firework display tonight in the village I am in.

10. lxxy profile image60
    lxxyposted 7 years ago

Mmm..things that go boom with sight and sound. ;D

working