What's your favorite freelance job board?

1. 0
    pgrundyposted 7 years ago

I pretty much only use Elance, and usually it goes pretty well. I get about 40% of the jobs I bid on, which works out OK for me as far as getting as much work as I want.

Lately though, I've had a rash of violation of policy requests from people posting writing projects, the most annoying and egregious being the "write me a free sample and if I like it I'll hire you" nonsense. (This even when you provide a crapload of links, references, and writing samples.) At Elance you can report this kind of thing, but usually I just send a copy of the policies for clients from the FAQ and let it go.

Do you use any of these boards? Elance, Guru, Odesk, Craig's List? Anyone use any others I don't know about?

I'm just curious who uses what and what has you experience been? Does it work out well, or usually not? Well enough to keep at it?

2. Shalini Kagal profile image79
    Shalini Kagalposted 7 years ago

I've found Guru by far the best - I've just gone from being a paid member to a free basic one because I can't cope with any new work right now. I don't know about other writers but I've found that most of the clients on Guru are professional and there's some really great and interesting work that's posted up. Lots of ghostwriting work. I've never once had a problem with payment either.

3. RooBee profile image84
    RooBeeposted 7 years ago

I'm really new at the whole freelance thing, but have begun to explore the boards on the great list in this hub by Shirley Anderson: http://hubpages.com/hub/Places-To-Sell-Your-Writing

I've looked around on Craigslist a bit. I actually answered a weekly on-line column ad but when I was contacted by the company, it was not an outfit I'd personally want to write for. Still, though, it seemed a legitimate writing position.

Anyway, I know I'm not much help but I hope that perhaps Shirley's hubs (there's a part 2) will be. I'm so glad to be able to chat with others about their experiences in writing online!