If I was To Start An Article Directory Or Content Site....

Jump to Last Post 1-8 of 8 discussions (25 posts)
  1. waynet profile image69
    waynetposted 14 years ago

What would be the main features of interest for new members?

I mean it would obviously have to be user friendly and free to use like other content sites, but what do you suppose are the top things that new members would want?

1. skjnkj profile image58
      skjnkjposted 14 years agoin reply to this

well it depends on work. A content site may also work fine for you if you worked properly. But I think Article Directory will be easy option rather than Valued content site.

waynetposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I think there will be a probability of it being an article directory though, as this just sounds more better to start off.

Cheers Now!

2. livewithrichard profile image72
      livewithrichardposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I started my directory at 411article.com and created categories for hubbers to add a complementary piece for their hubs in order to get a backlink. 

Most directories request that your articles be at least 500 words but I lowered my requirements to just 200 words.  I may change that down the road when it gains in popularity but for now, the main reason for authors to contribute to article directories is to get a backlink.  I discuss that in my new hub.

Hubbers cant send their hubs off to article directories because it will harm their chances of earning adsense here on HP, so creating a short complementary piece is a great alternative.

I found the best script available for an article directory and it's listed on my sites homepage.  The great thing about it is that it's open source and easy to edit and comes with great support.

For hubbers and others that are in revenue sharing sites, duplicate content is harmful, but duplicate content on my site will only harm me.  I'm allowing it for a short time, maybe 90 days or so, just to get the site populated, but my script has a dupe content checker and I review everything that is submitted personally to make sure that illegal stuff isn't slipped in.

It takes a lot of work so if you are considering a directory of your own, check out my site and see if you like it.

Thanks Richard!

I have already selected my article script and have planned out certain features to pay someone to add, your article directory looks very good and I can see myself starting this up with minimal cost too, so that's a bonus!

Thanks everyone else and yes spam control Maddie is one of my top priorities....

Now anything else?

1. livewithrichard profile image72

You're welcome.  My site is 2 months old, it has an Alexa ranking now and is still a PR0.  It has over 8500 articles and 1700 authors.  The traffic is building too.

I built my directory specifically to allow authors to get backlinks. If you think publishing the same article in hundreds of different directories wont work, then go to my site, choose any article, copy the title and search it in "" on Google.  See how many come up.  Not only are they indexed, they count for a backlink.

I'm backlinking the site as often as I can.  It will never be like ezine or any of the other biggies, but then it wasn't designed to be either.

When you build your site, check out the forums at digital point.  There are some good workers there that can do certain quality jobs for you real cheap, like banners and logo's and tips for backlinks.  Try scriptlance.com too for more programming types of help.  You can find pros there that can build your spam controls or just about any modifications you need to your script.

3. tjthudium1996 profile image57
      tjthudium1996posted 14 years agoin reply to this

use blogpspot, and use a google costum search, i do that and it works extraordinary well. get your templates from finalsense.com they work great. hope that helps

2. Dame Scribe profile image56
    Dame Scribeposted 14 years ago

I would suggest don't let it be a eyesore, easy to navigate, and fast to load smile jus some ideas

Yes that would be my main priority, although a good design will come later on down the road...I could make sure that it looks tidy until a budget requires a professional design. Thanks!

3. Dame Scribe profile image56
    Dame Scribeposted 14 years ago

Give it a *Power* name too wink

4. Maddie Ruud profile image72
    Maddie Ruudposted 14 years ago

Spam controls.

sorry I didnt think it was too spammy, should I remove the title to my site?

1. Maddie Ruud profile image72
        Maddie Ruudposted 14 years agoin reply to this

No no no!  I was saying, as a suggestion to Wayne for his site, that he incorporate spam controls.

lol okay, yes that is a good suggestion.  The site and script I use allows the site owner to control if HTML is allowed in the body of an article.  Some are allowed in the authors resource box.

2. Uninvited Writer profile image78
        Uninvited Writerposted 14 years agoin reply to this

No, I think she was saying she would ensure her site had spam controls... smile

5. Ambition profile image62
    Ambitionposted 14 years ago

when i go to your site ( she told me)
    i was searching for categories and don't find them and when i entered again then with some effort i find them. Your categories are hidden behind this blue color combination.
    So, you can think about color combination.

1. AEvans profile image71
      AEvansposted 14 years agoin reply to this

So what are you saying is shetoldme belongs to live Richard? smile

2. waynet profile image69

Sorry there, that isn't my site, it's just one that anyone can join to increase their backlinks....

1. Ambition profile image62
        Ambitionposted 14 years agoin reply to this

whats ur site

don't include dot com

It doesn't exist yet!!

I was gathering feedback for my article directory project!!

6. Ambition profile image62
    Ambitionposted 14 years ago

no i am commenting to waynet's she told me.

how you related my comment to live richard smile

1. AEvans profile image71
      AEvansposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Ibelieve it was the way you stated it, "When I got to your site (shetoldme)" the way it was worded sounded like it was his site and youwere explaining to the third party what you do not like about it. smile
      I am on shetoldme and I have to admit that the layout is a little messy but I am certain that in due time the site will have been formatted much better. smile

7. JohnnyComeLately profile image68
    JohnnyComeLatelyposted 14 years ago

How will the articles rank in Google?  That's the main issue.  I think that probably relates to your ability to weed out the spammy stuff, something Hub Pages doesn't always do a good job of.  Then again, ezinearticles are spammy almost by definition, and they rank quite well.

Ways of spamming are also becoming far more sophisticated and technical, so I guess I would have to get some great spam detection software that will handle all of that and something that gets upgraded every now and then!

I suppose I would have to set a limit on the word count, that would eliminate some spammers for each article submission....cheers JCL!!

8. johnr54 profile image48
    johnr54posted 14 years ago

Here's what I look for in an article directory.

- Followed links in resource box
    - Articles are cross linked so they stay in the Google index (I don't have to send links to them to keep them in the index) (Take a look at the sites with big traffic - Hubpages, Ezines, Buzzle, Articlesbase they all do this) - I can tell by looking at an article page and the number of cross links whether or not a site has any decent traffic.
    - Human review to keep the spun crap/ duplicate content out
    - Author RSS feed so I can promote my articles with ease
    - Back links to the site that proof the site owner wants to build PR and traffic
    - Easy re-publishing of articles

Revenue sharing is nice, but not necessary.  Paid option to distribute the article would be a nice option.  iSnare seems to be stumbling these days, an option to them would be nice.  Articlesbase gets them to a small distribution list for free.

There's other things you can do but just doing that would put you above the crowd.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)