jump to last post 1-7 of 7 discussions (7 posts)

New FTC Ruling

1. Janet21 profile image78
    Janet21posted 7 years ago

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/FTC-plans … amp;ccode=

Do you guys think this will have any impact on Hubpages?  I know it specifically mentions review blogs that receive gifts from companies in return for their reviews, however, it also mentions the broader topic of affiliate marketing,

"That's because the guidelines also would cover the broader and common practice of affiliate marketing, in which bloggers and other sites get a commission when someone clicks on a link that leads to a purchase at a retailer."

I also have a few niche blogs that earn me $ from affiliate marketing. 

Any thoughts on this?

2. lakeerieartists profile image79
    lakeerieartistsposted 7 years ago

I think that any of us who earn money from affiliate marketing will have to keep tabs on this legislation.  I am sure it will take them a while to pass legislation to begin with, but when they do we will have to see how we can comply.  It may just mean a blanket disclosure saying that we earn money from selling specific products.

We will have to wait until the legislation passes.

3. Janet21 profile image78
    Janet21posted 7 years ago

I have no problem putting a disclosure on my pages if it should come to that.  Guess it is a wait and see at this point.

4. lakeerieartists profile image79
    lakeerieartistsposted 7 years ago

I wouldn't either.  It is not like I am trying to keep a secret. smile

5. Gordon Hamilton profile image96
    Gordon Hamiltonposted 7 years ago

I am afraid that I could only read so much of the article before I fell asleep at my keyboard. From what I did read, I think that trying to administer this would be like a solitary shepherd trying to look after the entire sheep population of Australia!!

It's just a suggestion for the beaurocrats who came up with this nonsense - but why not crack down on "sundry" criminals like international drug traffickers and the likes instead???

6. Staci-Barbo7 profile image89
    Staci-Barbo7posted 7 years ago

As I posted on Hal's Hub on the subject, does anyone know whether HubPages management has any specific recommendations for Hubbers concerning the ruling?  And do we need to update previously posted Hubs when there may be an existing potential conflict of interest?

7. Lissie profile image85
    Lissieposted 7 years ago

Its no real difference for me. I always disclose on my blog when I link is an affiliate link - and it helps build trust with readers, I have a monetary interest in them buying - but I only recommend what I use so its not a big deal.

On sites I have which run Adsense, ebay, amazon I have  disclosure and privacy pages which warns visitors what I and others might do with their information. This has been a requirement of Adsense for ages and is plain good practice for any affiliate product.

I thought the payperpost stuff that FTC is after died last year after google took the PR away from bloggers who played that game