Obama and the Anti-Smoking Bill

1. lrohner profile image84
    lrohnerposted 7 years ago

Obama is set to sign huge anti-smoking legislation which basically gives the FTC the authority to regulate tobacco. I'm not a smoker, but giving a government authority this much power in a retail trade makes me a bit nervous.

I'm of the mind that if someone wants to risk their life by not wearing a seatbelt, so be it. If someone wants to kill themselves by smoking, that's their call. Neither of these risk other people. Do they cost the taxpayers money along the way? Perhaps. But so do the millions of jobless young women out there having babies, and you don't see the government sterilizing them.

What are your thoughts?

1. CorinneM profile image59
      CorinneMposted 7 years ago in reply to this

I feel that smoking does put we non-smokers at risk. It pollutes our environment and studies have shown that second hand smoke does harm people. Also, smokers have more health issues and the costs of that health care are passed on to the public in various ways.

I do understand your concern about "Big Brother" and how far should our government be allowed to go? However, they pass these laws for the benefit of the whole.

I see your point about jobless young women having babies. And I certainly would not endorse a sterilization program. In both cases what I would heartily endorse are educational programs to prevent both.