jump to last post 1-7 of 7 discussions (8 posts)

Being logged in to comment.

1. Mark Knowles profile image61
    Mark Knowlesposted 9 years ago

Leaving a comment and a link seems to be an acceptable way of generating backlinks, but I have noticed it is very easy to do on HP. I just had someone leave a comment and a link on one of my hubs, so I returned the favor at their blog. But - I had to register, wait for a confirmation email, log in, create a profile page with a web address and then leave a comment. I wonder if that might be a good idea here? The only reason I ask is I read recently that a high number of links leaving a site compared to incoming links will count against you in the google rankings?

2. pauldeeds profile image
    pauldeedsposted 9 years ago

There is an option that you can set in the comments capsule that will only allow logged in users to post comments.  Currently it is unchecked by default.  I guess we could consider changing the default setting (also links in anonymous comments at HubPages have nofollow applied to them, as they do on most other blogging platforms).

1. Misha profile image74
      Mishaposted 9 years ago in reply to this

Paul, I was under impression that *all* links in comments are nofollowed - at least this is how firefox plugin shows them. Am I missing something here?

Thanks smile

3. Mark Knowles profile image61

OK Paul, thanks I hadn't seen that. This comment that was left didn't have a nofollow though. When I clicked on their name, it went to their own site - does that mean they are logged in in some way?

4. pauldeeds profile image

Mark -- nofollow just tells search engines not to count the link as a vote for the linked to page, the link will still function as normal.

5. Mark Knowles profile image61

Aha - you learn something every day big_smile
    Thanks.

6. pauldeeds profile image

Misha, that is correct.

7. spuds profile image20
    spudsposted 9 years ago

I only let logged in people leave comments. Just another way to hopefully cut down spammy comments.

working