jump to last post 1-6 of 6 discussions (6 posts)

latest news on my daughter's trip to France

1. dineane profile image85
    dineaneposted 7 years ago

Some of you know from my hubs that my 17 year old daughter is in France right now, and it's been a bit harder for me emotionally than I thought it would...a big wake up that she's about to be out on her own for good!

She called me a bit ago to tell me "something had happened, but that I wasn't supposed to get upset." Someone broke into their hotel room! When they returned from today's activities, her roommate had stopped at the payphone to call home, so my girl found the mess in her room by herself. So far, all they knew was that her roommate's money has been stolen - my daughter ran when she saw the mess and had not been back in the room yet to check her stuff. She said they were going to switch rooms, but didn't have many details yet.

I can't post this on my "normal" social sites yet, because my daughter's roommate has not been able to reach her mom, and I don't want her reading about this online. I've left her a message and will confer with her over whether or not to even share this with the other parents at this point. They'll be home Friday night - no need for everyone to worry for three days, right? Then again, I'd probably want to know...

Hey you French Hubbers, what's the deal with hotel security over there? She said they kept all their keys in some sort of box that anyone could get to? I wish I had asked to speak to her teacher...oh well.

Poor girl...first no luggage for three days, now this. She sounded so upset, but I know she'll be fine tomorrow. Mommy just needed to vent a little.

2. My Inner Jew profile image84
    My Inner Jewposted 7 years ago

I am so sorry!  I lived in Israel and put my mother through the same thing, security was so tight there I felt safer there than i do in mississippi.  I think you should definitely tell the other girls parents no matter if it makes them worry or not.  It is the best decision as they need to know.  They would be so angry with her when she returns and they found out she didn't tell.  I hope the rest of her trip goes safely for you!

3. dineane profile image85

Thanks, MIJ, I'm sure you are right. I'll email the other parents after I've had a chance to talk directly to my daughter's roommate's mom.

4. 0
    pgrundyposted 7 years ago

I'm so sorry this happened to her! I'm glad she wasn't harmed though. It's so hard to let go of kids as they grow up--I don't think we ever do entirely. I know here in the US hotel break ins are a big problem--even with those computer room keys.

5. dineane profile image85

Thanks, Pam. I admit, I'm not really "worried" that way - I figure they (the chaperones) will be very careful now. I just hate she was so scared and upset.

6. dineane profile image85

Just talked to the other mom...made me feel better :-) Her daughter is staying in France a bit longer than the other kids - I feel so bad for her! But she sounded sane, and made me feel more sane, LOL. She talked to her daughter about an hour an a half after I talked to mine - said all she knew that was missing of Camille's was a pair of shoes! Unless she bought shoes in France, that's crazy! She only took an old pair of Converse and one of Rainbows!

Ah, the stories she will have to tell :-)