jump to last post 1-6 of 6 discussions (8 posts)

Spam emails

1. BundleBoy profile image69
    BundleBoyposted 7 years ago

I am getting "love letter" from women around the world. Courtesy HubPages. I am not blaming HubPages, but these spammers seem to be getting my email id from HubPages.

Any other Hubber affected? how do we stop it? Any ideas?

2. kmackey32 profile image82
    kmackey32posted 7 years ago

hmm yea i have been getting this one letter from an African American. How do you know where the spam email comes from? Its so annoying, an i have been getting A LOT of it lately...

3. Maddie Ruud profile image82
    Maddie Ruudposted 7 years ago

Unless you post your email address out in the open on HubPages, nobody can get your email address from this website.  You can tell if an email is coming through the email contact form by seeing if it says "via HubPages" after their name in the "from" box.  Otherwise, they have nothing to do with our site.

(Note: You can report spam that comes through the email contact form by hitting the "spam" link at the bottom of those emails.)

1. nyliram profile image60
      nyliramposted 7 years ago in reply to this

It is up to you to keep your computer safe, and people do hack in its not Hub Pages its all ov er the Net.
      Maddie is correct, I am having problems at the moment, with a particularly irritating one. I have reported the prob. and made sure it doesn't happen again, by upping security.

2. BundleBoy profile image69
      BundleBoyposted 7 years ago in reply to this

Maddie, I agree "they have nothing to do with hubpage site.", but they always introduce themselves by saying they found out about me from HubPages profile.

No big deal I block them as spam. Thank you all for your input.

4. Dale Mazurek profile image58
    Dale Mazurekposted 7 years ago

Ah crap Ive been busted  lol

Cant say I have had the pleasure yet and hopefully never do

5. debris profile image83
    debrisposted 7 years ago

I haven't had too much of a problem but I also use GMail which has a great spam filter. smile  Becareful if someone from Nigeria wants to give you money :-P

6. girly_girl09 profile image79
    girly_girl09posted 7 years ago

You do have your e-mail address on your profile....big_smile That could definitely be why. Maybe you could say contact me through the contact form on the right...that way everything goes through HubPages and your e-mail is not exposed.

The minute you paste your e-mail address (even with no link as you have it), e-mail address crawlers will find it, harvest it and it will be sold in bulk spam lists.

That's why a lot of people say myemail (at)email.com or something like to throw off e-mail harvesters.