Does age matter when you send your manuscript to a publisher?

1. Miss M profile image60
    Miss Mposted 7 years ago

Need answers fast!

2. Pete Maida profile image60
    Pete Maidaposted 7 years ago

I doubt it unless your age makes you somehow unique.  The only limitation I suppose may be if you were too young to enter into a legal contract.  The greatest challenge is getting their attention.  If you have name recognition then you have a shot.  If you're like most of us getting published by a real publisher is very hard.

1. yoshi97 profile image88
      yoshi97posted 7 years ago in reply to this

Pete is right. However, if your writing is really good and they so no to your age - have one of your parents publish it and then they can place any profits in a trust fund for when you get older. smile

P.S. Do NOT tell them you are young unless they ask. Allow the process to work up until the point where they inquire. If it gets to that point, I'm certain any publisher or agent will work out a solution, as by then they will already want the story and will do what they must to represent it.

However, know going into this that many great stories are rejected every year ... it's becoming more of a name game every day, though some new writers manage to break through every year.