Miraculous Sole Survivor of Yemeni Plane Crash.

Jump to Last Post 1-10 of 10 discussions (24 posts)
  1. countrywomen profile image59
    countrywomenposted 14 years ago

In BBC America there was a news item about this plane crash and there was an expert who studied plane crash survivors for over 3 decades saying that those sitting in the rear side of the airplane had 40% higher chances of survival. Do you feel making some informed choices increases our survival chances? Or do you believe in Destiny? smile

1. Davinagirl3 profile image59
      Davinagirl3posted 14 years agoin reply to this

I do believe in destiny, but informed decisions may help it along.  Who's to say his destiny didn't lead him to study plane crash survivors?

2. Lady_E profile image61
      Lady_Eposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I don't believe in Destiny.  I actually believe you can change your destiny but that's another story.

I personally say a short prayer when I have a Journey ahead of me.  That's just me. (I'm not saying people should, it's just what I do)

1. profile image0
        girly_girl09posted 14 years agoin reply to this

Lady_E - I seen tons of people that do that. I think it helps calm a lot of people's nerves down, which is never a bad thing. smile

countrywomenposted 14 years agoin reply to this

My grandma made a big scene when we took her first time in airplane. She bend, touched the airplane and then started reciting sanskrit mantras. Luckily it was in India and most of the folks were understanding. smile

1. Lady_E profile image61
            Lady_Eposted 14 years agoin reply to this

This comment really tickled me.  Aaah Bless.

2. earnestshub profile image80
    earnestshubposted 14 years ago

Good topic countrywoman.

I am all for informed choices.
    Had I been on the originating flight and was told I would be transferred to a plane that was not certified as safe. I would not have been on that second plane. Nobody seems to have been told about the risks.The little girl who survived is on her way back to France now, and has told authorities about the crash.That is from BBC radio now my time 10am Thursday.

3. Misha profile image63
    Mishaposted 14 years ago

Considering the odds of airplane crash, I would rather choose a comfort of front rows smile

Does the seat size/leg room differ from front rows to back rows?

4. lrohner profile image68
    lrohnerposted 14 years ago

I never really did any research on the subject, but I always sat towards the back of the plane when flying. My thought was if the plane nosedives, those in the front are in trouble. If the plane breaks in half, those in the middle are in trouble. The back just always seemed the safest.

Well the Aviation expert David Noland gave similar reasoning and also mentioned that the black box is located in the rear where it is comparatively more safe. smile

2. countrywomen profile image59

Yes there is an uncanny gut feeling or a survival instinct in all of us. Sometimes it helps to listen to it. smile

5. Misha profile image63
    Mishaposted 14 years ago

Between economy and business and first class - definitely. smile

Also, many airlines have "economy plus", which are still economy but just slightly more spacious, and those are the front seats of economy, if they exist. Front of a plane tends to experience less kicks and vibrations too, and often is quite a bit quieter than the rear. smile

Well I meant between economy class. I never knew about "economy plus" or about the vibrations part. And I have noticed that the front row is reserved for families with babies because they have Basinet. And thanks for the info, now I would certainly look out for the exit doors next time I am on plane. smile

6. Misha profile image63
    Mishaposted 14 years ago

LOL CW-girl, you are still young, and i bet at your age I did not know such details either. Now, many years and thousands flight miles later, I do pay attention. And what's the deal with the exit door? smile

Well one of the survival tip: stay close to the exit door. smile

1. Misha profile image63
        Mishaposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Gotcha. Never really followed it, again because of extremely low odds of a crash and extremely low odds of a need for exit in case of crash. Yet exit rows usually have a lot of leg space, so this is a plus smile

Well in the news he was mentioning about Informed Choices and my husband didn't bother since he is more into Destiny and said something to that effect. I guess no harm in improving the survival odds wink

1. Misha profile image63
            Mishaposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Oh, definitely. As long as they are actually worth bothering smile

7. profile image0
    girly_girl09posted 14 years ago

Last year I had to fly about a gazilion times for work. Sometimes I'd buy my own tickets and be reimbursed, but typically I'd just get an email saying this is your flight and this is your seat. So, I usually didn't have a choice where I sat. If they chose to put me in the front, I didn't bawk and say I'd rather be in the back. big_smile I always prefer business class because it's less noisy and less crowded. When I fly, I'm more concerned about getting a headache then being in a plane crash. Chances are you'll be killed (in a big plane) if it goes down, anyways.

It certainly was a miracle that the girl survived!!

8. Herald Daily profile image60
    Herald Dailyposted 14 years ago

I never think about it, I feel perfectly safe flying.

I did sit on the exit aisle once.  Yes, more leg room but you're only allowed to sit there if you agree to help the other passengers get out if there's a crash.  At least I had to.

Better to get an extra leg room for a comfortable journey than worry about a remote possibility. Anyway when accidents happen people do come forward to help and I am sure you would help irrespective of the seating arrangement. smile

9. countrywomen profile image59

Ernests/Davinagirl- I prefer to improve the odds but at the same time we can only do so much. Hence I would try to do my best but at the same time will accept the eventuality. I guess a bit of both. smile

10. countrywomen profile image59

Lady_E/Girly_Girl- Yes it does help not to panic and if a prayer helps then surely it is a good thing. Whatever works. For my grandma it was a unique experience and she still remembers it although doesn't feel like traveling second time.

PS:Trains in India are very convenient and comfortable to travel. smile

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)