Who is biggest music ICON Elvis or M. Jackson?

Jump to Last Post 1-37 of 37 discussions (78 posts)
  1. Lgali profile image57
    Lgaliposted 14 years ago

I think both will be equal

1. andromida profile image56
      andromidaposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I also think so.

1. Lgali profile image57
        Lgaliposted 14 years agoin reply to this

yes

2. RRRood profile image66
      RRRoodposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Elvis! Though both were amazingly talented and equally troubled.

1. Lgali profile image57

i will say elvis and MJ 49.5 and 50.5

3. lawretta profile image63
      lawrettaposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Micheal Jackson is obviously the biggest Icon ever known. I love you Micheal. R.I.P

1. Lgali profile image57

I love MJ too

4. vancouverdentist profile image40
      vancouverdentistposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I think Elvis was but as the older generation passes away Michael will become the next biggest, and then so on.

1. Lgali profile image57

good take

2. Uninvited Writer profile image80
    Uninvited Writerposted 14 years ago

Each was the biggest in his own time.

I think John Lennon is bigger than both of them, but that is just me smile

1. ngureco profile image80
      ngurecoposted 14 years agoin reply to this

John Lennon was a great rock musician with worldwide fame. He was shot to death by Mark Chapman. Had Chapman shot Michael Jackson or Elvis Presley, then Jackson and Elvis would be bigger music icons than they currently are.

2. profile image50
      badcompany99posted 14 years agoin reply to this

I agree, I actually cried when I heard Lennon had been shot. John was sheer genius at songwriting and probably the best we will ever see. For me John Lennon was The Beatles and a much bigger talent than Jackson or Elvis. Good taste young lady smile

3. Pete Maida profile image59
    Pete Maidaposted 14 years ago

They are different.  Elvis is the king because he was there at the start of rock and roll and he had the voice.  He had moves but they weren't in the league of MJ.  MJ is the all time king of moves and rock choreography.  He had a good voice but his moves made him MJ.

1. Lgali profile image57

so one is king of pop other king of rock

2. sunshine rivers profile image61
      sunshine riversposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Micheal J Jackson is the King of Pop and always will be. Elvis is the King of Rock. Both are icon's in their own right! One was White and the other African-American, yet musical icon's in their own right. In God's eyes and in mine they are equally talented to the world.

1. Rochelle Frank profile image89
        Rochelle Frankposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Which one was white? (That's a little joke.)
        On the serious side though, a lot of people thought Elvis' music --in his time-- was "too black". Odd that neither of these icons took the black or white distinction that seriously.
        In fact, I would say that both, in their own ways, helped make that distinction less relevant in the minds of a lot of people.

1. Lgali profile image57

i totally agree with you

4. anime_nanet profile image58
    anime_nanetposted 14 years ago

Elvis. Age is a post.

5. manlypoetryman profile image83
    manlypoetrymanposted 14 years ago

Well...obviously MJ's stardom icon will shine brighter for a few years to come...due to his recent passing.But...when the dust settles...I have to agree with you, Lgali...they both are equal given each era that they were in. You can say MJ had the music videos for his era...but Elvis got the movie deals for his era. Equal. Multiple Hits, Great Stage Presence, Original Moves, and talent to go along with a voice. Equal.

1. Lgali profile image57

very good takes

6. Ladybird33 profile image65
    Ladybird33posted 14 years ago

Elvis made movies or musicals  whereas MJ didn't, my vote goes to Elvis, bigger icon.

1. Lgali profile image57

good to know elvis still has fans

2. rastrother profile image41
      rastrotherposted 14 years agoin reply to this

me to, elvis was the king THE ONLY KING

1. Lgali profile image57

I think MJ is king of pop

7. Lady_E profile image62
    Lady_Eposted 14 years ago

Its really hard to say.  They were both very great.  However, I feel MJ touched more people's hearts. There was a message in his music and that song "Heal the world" had a big impact.

Come to think of it, MJ was a mesmerizing dancer, but they will be both be known as one of "The Greats".

8. profile image0
    girly_girl09posted 14 years ago

Both are very iconic. But....personally, I believe that MJ will have greater success for years to come, more so than Elvis. This is because he had more materials published and his pop style is still listened to today by people of all ages. Where as, not many young people listen to Elvis.

Both still have a very loving fan base and will always be viewed as two of the biggest music icons, but at the end of the day they're both very different entertainers.

1. Lgali profile image57

very nice take both are good

2. marcofratelli profile image79
      marcofratelliposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Agreed. I think Michael Jackson was the overall package for me, even though I am biased because he was from my era. He could sing, he could act and make brilliant short films, he was a brilliant songwriter on his own and man... the dance! He was everyone combined, plus some magic.

1. Lgali profile image57

good take

9. Ivorwen profile image66
    Ivorwenposted 14 years ago

I prefer Elvis to MJ.

10. Uninvited Writer profile image80
    Uninvited Writerposted 14 years ago

I guess it all depends on who becomes the biggest seller after death... All sorts of stuff came out from Elvis after he died...

11. Anti-Valentine profile image75
    Anti-Valentineposted 14 years ago

My dad would say Elvis; he hated Michael Jackson.

For the older people, it will likely be Elvis, and for anyone of the 80s era it would be Jacko.

I would say that the newer generations don't really know or care about either. They think of Elvis as some dead guy, and MJ as some freak. They don't actually know about their careers, struggles, and such.

12. AEvans profile image71
    AEvansposted 14 years ago

I believe equal, Elvis was my mom's time however I also grew up with the albums spinning so I love his music. Michael Jackson is from my time and I admired his talent. smile

1. Lgali profile image57

i agree to you

13. Garrett McLee profile image39
    Garrett McLeeposted 14 years ago

Apples and Oranges.  Different eras makes them incomparable.

1. Lgali profile image57

but both are icon

14. carolegalassi profile image62
    carolegalassiposted 14 years ago

I'm inclined to say Michael is only because Elvis was not in my era and did not have such an impact on me as MJ's music did.

1. Lgali profile image57

i agree

15. usmanali81 profile image61
    usmanali81posted 14 years ago

It does not matter at all

16. my-success-guru profile image56
    my-success-guruposted 14 years ago

That's a tough one!

17. tksensei profile image60
    tksenseiposted 14 years ago

Sinatra's bigger than both of them put together!

1. Lgali profile image57

very different
      Sinatra is best but i just want comparison between two

18. love my yorkies profile image61
    love my yorkiesposted 14 years ago

Personally, I much prefer Elvis

1. Lgali profile image57

both are good i think

19. profile image49
    cccellardoorposted 14 years ago

Michael Jackson, mos def!

1. Lgali profile image57

another MJ vote

20. profile image0
    Adam Bposted 14 years ago

Elvis is far more the Icon that Michael Jackson was.  Elvis died before the age of the Internet, TMZ, Twitter, Facebook and everyone being at the cusp of all entertainment / celebrity news. 

Elvis was Global before it was as easy to be that famous.  There was literally nowhere for Elvis to go and people wouldn't recognize him.  People in African tribes that were unknown to civilization knew who Elvis was.

Michael Jackson got famous before the internet and all the things listed above, but he lived into the technology era I am referring to. 

If Elvis was around as long as Michael Jackson...I can't even explain how huge a celebrity he would be...on par with Jesus I suspect.

1. Lgali profile image57

very nice way to say how Elvis was great

21. profile image50
    badcompany99posted 14 years ago

Elvis was big no doubt about that, so was Jackson but Elvis was no songwriter like John Lennon. A true singer like a true poet must surely be the greatest songwriter of all time and sorry but I cant see either Elvis or Jackson even coming close to John Lennon for songwriting.

1. Lgali profile image57

very nice take badcompany99

2. Lgali profile image57

good one

22. Enelle Lamb profile image74
    Enelle Lambposted 14 years ago

Gotta go with Elvis

1. Lgali profile image57

good and thanks

23. profile image0
    dennisemattposted 14 years ago

do you have to be dead to be an icon? what about Madonna?

24. Lisa HW profile image62
    Lisa HWposted 14 years ago

I have to say I think Elvis was the bigger icon.  He came along before "
    my time" (Jackson came along a little after "my time"), so neither of them meant a whole lot to me, personally.  Both had a lot of music that had a good sound or rhythm or whatever.  Both were "showy" (but then so was Liberace - another one-of-a-kind icon).

Elvis, though, ushered in rock and roll.  Also, he was among the first (if not THE first) to incorporate so much of the blues/jazz/sound of African American musicians into his music, bringing that sound into more into the mainstream, popular, music.  He was the first to cause so many parents to be "concerned" about the gyrations he did when performing.  His romance and marriage to Priscilla captured people's imaginations.  The fact that he entered military service was a big deal for a lot of people as well.  His death, the whole "Graceland Thing", the stories about whether or not he's still alive, etc.  In my memory, it seems he was a "first" for all of that kind of myth and weirdness.

1. Lgali profile image57

very nicely said Thanks

25. high an daydream profile image57
    high an daydreamposted 14 years ago

MJ

1. Lgali profile image57

i think mJ too

26. Lisa HW profile image62

People tend to overlook the icons the came along before they were around.  It was long before my time, but in my mother's generation Frank Sinatra was quite the thing.  Then, too, (and for whatever reason) there was Marilyn Monroe (not a music icon, of course).  The world has had tons of people who were more noticed, or had more impact, than either Michael Jackson or Elvis Presley.

1. Lgali profile image57

good take thanks

27. 4ever Mo profile image59
    4ever Moposted 14 years ago

2 very great Icons but Michael Jackson is the greatest! That's  my opinion :-)

28. CEN7777 profile image59
    CEN7777posted 14 years ago

Both are creator of music  still according to me "MJ is the biggest music icon".

1. Lgali profile image57

i think both are 50.1 to 49.9

29. janni321 profile image57
    janni321posted 14 years ago

MJ is the biggest music icon of all times

30. elainevc profile image60
    elainevcposted 14 years ago

I think they were both great in their own way and Elvis had the glory he deserved for his time, but IMO I think MJ is biggest for his moves, his voice, his music symbol, but that's just me smile

1. Lgali profile image57

so MJ is better

31. wesleycox profile image70
    wesleycoxposted 14 years ago

For me it would be MJ.  I like some of Elvis's music but I like Michael's more.  Plus I don't know many people that did the elvis pelvis at a dance.  I do know many that moon walked at a dance.

1. Lgali profile image57

i like mj too

32. profile image0
    Louidam1posted 14 years ago

I'm going to have to say Michael Jackson since I grew up with his music when I was little.  I knew really nothing of Elvis since I was too young.  Michael Jackson was a world icon.

1. Lgali profile image57

i like mj too

33. killthegirls profile image61
    killthegirlsposted 14 years ago

Michael Jackson is, without question, the biggest recording artist the world has ever seen.  Sure Elvis was large, important, and he had SOME talent, but he didn't innovate a goddamned thing.  Elvis was great at imitating negroes.  Michael Jackson, who reportedly didn't think to highly of Elvis, was unlike any other artist ever born of a woman.  Mike was so bad, he banged Elvis' daughter!  How gangsta is that?

1. Lgali profile image57

good take for MJ

2. Lgali profile image57

good

34. joaquincosta profile image58
    joaquincostaposted 14 years ago

Well Elvis didn't play with kids...

1. Lgali profile image57

very funny

35. profile image0
    isis_dreams2002posted 14 years ago

I think MJ  is the best

36. profile image0
    mtsi1098posted 14 years ago

since you used the word icon - i would have to say Elvis.  If you used the word artist, I would say MJ

37. Lisa HW profile image62

Wow.  The Michael Jackson versus Elvis debate is still going on six weeks later.   smile

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)