jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (6 posts)

How To Make Your Relationship Last!

1. my-success-guru profile image60
    my-success-guruposted 7 years ago

A long term study now in its eighth year looked at 130 newlywed couples and discovered that men who allow their wives to influence them have happier marriages and those who resist their partner's influence have an 81% change that their marriage will fail.

What do you think?

1. Lady_E profile image82
      Lady_Eposted 7 years ago in reply to this

As to your question Success Guru, sometimes this is the case but I have observed families close to me and the marriages last because of the humble wife. Some even turn a blind eye even when they know hubby is playing away. People on the outside, see them as being in a Marriage but both of them know they are just co-habiting.

In making a relationship work, apart from love, I think both couples should respect each other. No one wanting to hurt the other.  I was in a relationship some years ago (for 2 years) and honestly, neither of us ever had a full blown argument just because we respected each other so much. As you know in life, once the arguments get too much, cracks start to form in the relationship.

Interesting Topic.

2. Neil Sperling profile image89
      Neil Sperlingposted 7 years ago in reply to this

No doubt it works in reverse the same way - after all a good relationship is a "partnership"! To be partners there would have to be influences taking place both ways.

What I really think about it is "what a waste of money doing a study that is emotionally accurate as well as intellectually logical without ANY study done."

2. Shadesbreath profile image89
    Shadesbreathposted 7 years ago

I think that the money spent on that study falls into the category of "Studies that stole money from the public to research totally obvious crap."

3. choiceessentials profile image60
    choiceessentialsposted 7 years ago

Fully agree!!

Guess that's why many say... every successful man has a woman behind him.

For the men to allow his wife to influence them.. this likely means that they are more open-minded, more respectful for their wife, less egoistic, less chauvinistic.

With these qualities.. I'm sure they are nicer guys to start off with to share one's life with. 

Given that, the couples would tend to be more consultative, more compromising, more willing to hear each other which equates to having more respect for each other. Certainly these are some of the key ingredients to make the marriage last.

4. Pete Maida profile image60
    Pete Maidaposted 7 years ago

What is sounds like you said was that if after eight years the husband doesn't conform to the wife's way of thinking that the marriage ends.  Why would the wife have a corner on what is best for the marriage and why would she give up because the husband doesn't agree with her.
    My wife and I will be married 19 years this month and the keys are fairness and respect.  Show your spouse that he or she has value and what they say and do is important.  Never lose the affection, she's still Baby, and I'm still Sugar Bear.  Plan your future together and make sure that both of you have an important part to see that it happens.