jump to last post 1-10 of 10 discussions (11 posts)

My website is unkidnapped!

1. LondonGirl profile image91
    LondonGirlposted 7 years ago

I posted yesterday that some ebook rubbish had nicked my site. http://hubpages.com/forum/topic/16900

Thanks to all for the help, especially Eric. Name.com were very helpful, and www.webhistoryofengland.com is now, once again, about England!

2. BristolBoy profile image82
    BristolBoyposted 7 years ago

That's excellent news!

3. Misha profile image74
    Mishaposted 7 years ago

Great! Huge congrats Amanda! smile

4. Teresa McGurk profile image82
    Teresa McGurkposted 7 years ago

Good -- it's a great website.  Looks like it must be a lot of work -- how did someone kidnap it?

5. Jane@CM profile image59
    Jane@CMposted 7 years ago

Good for you - congrats on getting it back!

6. Sufidreamer profile image81
    Sufidreamerposted 7 years ago

Good stuff - Glad that it was sorted!

I did a little research into this lordmmb, or whatever his name is, and he seems to be involved in the pirate and hacking community. You might want to do a sweep for spyware etc, if you haven't already, just in case smile

1. LondonGirl profile image91
      LondonGirlposted 7 years ago in reply to this

Good thought - I use AVG, would that do?

7. girly_girl09 profile image79
    girly_girl09posted 7 years ago

Thank goodness!!!!! I read that thread yesterday and was shocked that something like that could happen (scary!)

Perhaps you could write a hub about the steps you took to get back your site. Unfortunately, I bet this will start happening more frequently so I bet folks will be searching for that information.

8. Sufidreamer profile image81
    Sufidreamerposted 7 years ago

No idea about AVG - maybe Eric, Earnest or Misha might be able to help with that one.

I use a programme called Advanced WindowsCare V2 Personal, available for free from download.com. It seems to pick up most of the crap and has good reviews.

Not a techie, so I am at the limits of my knowledge, but remember to create a restore point before running it - I have never had a problem, but just in case......smile

9. Uninvited Writer profile image83
    Uninvited Writerposted 7 years ago

I'm glad you got it back. It was scary. I checked my wordpress blog right after you posted because I hadn't been on it for about a month. You'd think the hosting company could avoid such things from happening.

10. Lissie profile image87
    Lissieposted 7 years ago

I am really plesed to hear it - sent you a PM