jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (8 posts)

Linking from other sites to HubPages?

1. Tom Cornett profile image62
    Tom Cornettposted 7 years ago

This may be a really dumb question but I am fairly new at this.  If I copy the first paragraph of a hub....put it on another site... and link it to my HubPages hub, will it show up on my account as Duplicate Content?

1. Marisa Wright profile image93
      Marisa Wrightposted 7 years ago in reply to this

Posting a "taster" on another site is a good way to promote your Hubs.

Think about how much you really need to put on the other site. You want to include enough to interest the reader but not enough to answer the question - so they can't resist clicking on the link to read more. 

That may be two lines or it may be a whole paragraph.  Or you may want to write a totally new introduction.  So long as it's a short paragraph, I doubt it will trigger the Dup Content filter - you'll see it on your Account page if it does.

Don't worry if you see the flag - just try rewriting either the Hub or the site.  Be aware the flag won't disappear immediately - it will have to wait till the next time they run a scan.

1. Janet21 profile image79
        Janet21posted 7 years ago in reply to this

Speaking of this, I do this on Zimbio with my blog posts.  Zimbio gives you the option of auto importing your entire post, but I don't do that.  I don't want my entire post there because of 1.) the duplicate content thing and 2.) if my entire post is there, there is no reason for a visitor to click through to my blog.   Instead I post a teaser with a link to my blog.

Zimbio ranks fairly well in google, so I think I am going to start doing this with my hubs, too.

2. lrohner profile image84
    lrohnerposted 7 years ago

Don't know if it will show up on your HP page as duplicate content, but it will be duplicate content. I would worry more aout what Google thinks.

3. Uninvited Writer profile image83
    Uninvited Writerposted 7 years ago

I don't think a paragraph will be classed as duplicate. Many rss feeds show more than a paragraph and I don't think that hurts you with Google.

4. 0
    Nelle Hoxieposted 7 years ago

I would rewrite the paragraph. Risking a duplicate content penalty isn't worth it.

1. Marisa Wright profile image93
      Marisa Wrightposted 7 years ago in reply to this

Nelle, if you're talking about Google penalizing the site, then I agree it's important to avoid it because it could impact your earnings. 

However if you're talking about the HubPages Duplicate Content flag, it's more of a warning than a penalty. It's there primarily to warn you that you could be risking a Google slap.

The Dup Content flag does affect your HubScore but that has no influence on your earnings - and if you fix the problem, your HubScore will climb again.

5. 0
    Janettaposted 7 years ago

Not unless your whole hub is that one paragraph... big_smile