jump to last post 1-3 of 3 discussions (5 posts)

Has anyone experienced living and teaching in China?

1. Barb H profile image68
    Barb Hposted 7 years ago

My sister is interested in teaching english in China. I’ve done a little research and it appears to be a legitimate job opportunity but I’m a little concerned it might be a scam. I would like some feedback from anyone who has any experience or knows someone that has done this type of job. She was laid off recently from an engineering type magazine and is looking for a job and a little adventure.  She has a college degree in materials engineering and has spent the last nine years writing technical articles.

1. Yu-Huang Shang Ti profile image60
      Yu-Huang Shang Tiposted 7 years ago in reply to this

Teaching in China is typically low pay 5000 RMB, so don't do it for the money. Also, it is the government policy to make foreigner sign a contract with the school. These contracts are not all equal. Do your homework, inquire with other foreigners teaching in China first about the expectations and reputation of the school.

The government will monitor you, being a foreigner and a teacher while in China too.

Most of the students have been indoctrinated by the political propaganda of the Communist Party. If you value your opportunity to make a difference here, teach your Chinese students the value of being able to think on their own, rather than be taught what to think...

What difference does it make if older authoritarians are replaced by younger, technically trained or even capitalist authoritarians, right?

2. Misha profile image74
    Mishaposted 7 years ago

Talk to Cindyvine, she's in China. smile

1. Barb H profile image68
      Barb Hposted 7 years ago in reply to this

Thank you for the contact name. I appreciate your help.

3. 0
    wordscribe41posted 7 years ago

I did it in Japan for over 2 years.  It was GREAT, very fun AND I made a boat load of money.  I'd do it again in a heartbeat if I didn't have a husband and 3 kids.  Not a scam.