Do you take seriously an advice from a person with no hubs

Jump to Last Post 1-35 of 35 discussions (74 posts)
  1. oderog profile image47
    oderogposted 14 years ago

As I read through some post, I found out that some hubbers with 0 hubs giving advice on writing and earning here, do you bother reply or read these post

1. WeddingConsultant profile image65
      WeddingConsultantposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Always. It's usually the best advice I hear.

2. profile image0
      rethansmithposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Unless the person overtly references their qualifications, then no.

3. nicomp profile image61
      nicompposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Nope.

2. Pearldiver profile image68
    Pearldiverposted 14 years ago

That is a really hard question that requires a lot of thought AND a Single Word: NO!    smile

1. RooBee profile image83
      RooBeeposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Ditto.

3. profile image0
    annvansposted 14 years ago

Yes if the person knows about google.  Google is used on lots of things and so is amazon affiliates.  I would listen to them about those things if that is what they were talking about.  They may have experience with google and how to earn money with it.

oderogposted 14 years agoin reply to this

@Peardive, it is good to read and find out what they are posting

@annvans you are right, one should read and get what these people are talking about

4. HealthCare Basics profile image60
    HealthCare Basicsposted 14 years ago

I have a problem with that too. I think one should at least place a Hub into the system before being able to join in the forums. It's just how I feel about it.........

But they might be having some useful tips even without starting a hub

2. WLP4.0 profile image60
      WLP4.0posted 14 years agoin reply to this

I completely agree!  I sit back and read through hubs and not give advice until my feet are completley wet.

5. profile image0
    pgrundyposted 14 years ago

I have a problem with hubbers who have no hubs and no picture or profile even existing. I get comments from people like that and I just think, yeah, whatever. Coward.

1. alekhouse profile image73
      alekhouseposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I like this response a lot. My sentiments exactly

1. profile image0
        ryankettposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I like this response a lot too!

Does that mean that as I have 9 hubs, and a photo, I can say what I like? :-)

6. my-success-guru profile image57
    my-success-guruposted 14 years ago

It depends what the advice is. Just because they don't have Hubs doesn't mean they don't have worthy knowledge.

1. profile image57
      icatsandposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I do agree. I just joined so I have 0 hubs but it doesn't mean I may not have advice. I would be interested in blogging with anyone who checks out my site.

7. SweetiePie profile image84
    SweetiePieposted 14 years ago

One hubber was throwning a fit last night about HP's choice on advertising, and that is just a boring old argument.  If you do not like that this site has advertising then there are plenty of other options for running an ad free blog.

8. Pearldiver profile image68
    Pearldiverposted 14 years ago

Well I guess it's good that we all think differently and have different opinions. And Believe WE are Right smile

9. profile image0
    Janettaposted 14 years ago

you know that could be a hubber who has since left or just unpublished their hubs

Dangit, Janetta. I wasn't thinking of that. You are one smart cookie. *fawns over Janetta yet again* smile

1. profile image49
        badcompany99posted 14 years agoin reply to this

The Captain fawns over both of his fav girls smile

http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/smiley-love016.gif

2. profile image0
          Janettaposted 14 years agoin reply to this

and we're both fawning as well... wink

2. profile image0
        Janettaposted 14 years agoin reply to this

aww..I am batting my eyelashhes now--can u see?? lol big_smile

2. Eaglekiwi profile image74
      Eaglekiwiposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Maybe , but I wouldnt want Scientintology on my pages either,so I was interested to see if her/him's request was acknowleded.

10. Davinagirl3 profile image61
    Davinagirl3posted 14 years ago

I take all advice with the spirit in which it was given.  If the advice is about writing, and I haven't read a word they've written, I might think twice about their input.  But, again, it depends on the information of which they are advising me.

11. profile image0

Yes, I like to read just incase they are saying something worth while.  No point in ignoring someone who may be trying to help if they are new.  They may know way more than me which wouldn't be much.  I do not know all the good stuff about google and amazon, but I sure would peer into any helpful info.

12. oderog profile image47
    oderogposted 14 years ago

Great response from participants on why one needs to have a hub in order to post

13. profile image0

To add to my last comment, I have gotten in a forum and posted something only to be ignored and the information was something that I knew something about.  It was their choice to ignore it.  They lose, not me.

Next time write with bold "igonre at your own risks"

1. profile image0
        annvansposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Yes, I should thanks for the advice, lol.

14. Anti-Valentine profile image75
    Anti-Valentineposted 14 years ago

Ah yes, the whole "who the hell are you, noob?" mentality.

I usually do take note of how long someone has been on HP, how many hubs they have, and sometimes, fans.

I try not to be nasty to people who are new. I can tell if they are going to gel in here or not. Some don't, and I usually just say nothing and move on.

pgrundy has a point though. Some hubbers have been on HP for months, maybe even years, with no hubs, or a picture, and yet they are still here for some reason which eludes me.

1. Eaglekiwi profile image74

Maybe they are here , because they can be...
      But to be honest I dont take advice from just anybody , it helps to see if their mouth matches up with action ( their own hubs) etc...

2. oderog profile image47

Probably they want to see if hubpages can work or are promoting products to stay too long without posting

15. profile image0

Maybe those are the ones who do have hubs and made another account so they can go around telling everyone everything.

1. Anti-Valentine profile image75
      Anti-Valentineposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Makes sense. A two-face like operation. One profile for being nice, another for raining down fire and ice!

1. profile image0

Or maybe they just like to run around giving advice to see what others say, lol.

16. RavynSteel profile image68
    RavynSteelposted 14 years ago

Everyone has to start somewhere - we all began our accounts on here with no hubs - does that mean we were all less knowledgable until our first hub was published? Seems a bit snobbish to me, ignoring a person's advice simply because they haven't done a hub yet!

1. Rochelle Frank profile image91
      Rochelle Frankposted 14 years agoin reply to this

You have a good point, however I wouldn't say it is snobbish.

If someone gives out advice, I usually want to see something they have written or know something about their background.

There are several forum "advisers" here who have been on HubPages for a long time, have many, many excellent articles and are earning well. These things make their advice seem more valid. All of us have learned by experience.

2. oderog profile image47

Ravynsteel, don't loose your temp, just be cool, knowledge is knowledge whether you have published or not

17. SweetiePie profile image84
    SweetiePieposted 14 years ago

However, the point is Hubpages does not have a lot of control over who advertises, etc.  I think the noob comment was over the top too.

1. frogdropping profile image78
      frogdroppingposted 14 years agoin reply to this

They have some control and choose not to excersise it. It's business. Period. You can make some money based upon ethics, emotion and good feeling. You can make a whole lot more by focusing on the money. And, to be honest, that would be classed as the better business model.

Anyway. The OP's question *smiles* Absolutely not smile

1. SweetiePie profile image84
        SweetiePieposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I just choose not to get worked up over certain ads.  I thought the Scientology ads were kind of funny actually.  My dad did some electrical work for a Scientology retreat, and while we do not agree with their ideas, they were pretty humorous.  If people are adults I think they should do enough research to know any ad is usually just promoting themselves in a good light.  L Ron Hubbard ads have been on the television here in the US for years.

18. WeddingConsultant profile image65
    WeddingConsultantposted 14 years ago

p.s. I was being sarcastic with my previous post.

19. Pete Maida profile image59
    Pete Maidaposted 14 years ago

I think that I would consider someone that does not contribute a hub after being here a month or so to be a lurker.  I would question their motives for being here.  The idea that they may be a second profile of an existing member makes sense, but I can't imagine what someone would get out of it.

1. Eaglekiwi profile image74

you make lurking sound a bad thing Pete (j/k),but seriously though ,its cool to have some boundaries.

All adverts are quite parasitic in their nature,and I dont like the 'used feeling' so yea would be good business to have an element of respect (goodwill) for all parties. Like choice.

20. darkside profile image66
    darksideposted 14 years ago

People with no hubs have no experience or reputation when it comes to discussing hub making and hub earning.

Worse than that is if they have only a few hubs and they're all "How To Hub" hubs.

The best way to learn is to do. Trying different methods. Experimenting.

1. WeddingConsultant profile image65
      WeddingConsultantposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Agreed.

It would be like a soccer coach who's never played soccer. Would you take them seriously?

For purpose of entertainment I would

21. BrianFanslau profile image60
    BrianFanslauposted 14 years ago

Yeah its usually just a paid guy to make an account leave comments on specific topics with a script and leave. I've seen it before.

22. cindyvine profile image70
    cindyvineposted 14 years ago

Some of the hubbers with no hubs giving advice, might actually be long-standing hubbers who have just made a new alter-ego identity.  Then, they do know what they're talking about.  You just never know!

1. profile image0

That is what I would think it is.

23. traceye profile image57
    traceyeposted 14 years ago

What an amusing forum topic.

It's a bit unfair to assume that just because a person doesn't have a lot of hubs that they know nothing about making money here or even how to build a hub. 

I have a lot of experience off-hubpages in many different areas of affiliate marketing and making money online, and while I'm relatively new to hubpages (at least in realising the potential of what you can acheive here) I certainly wouldn't call myself a newbie or say my advice is worthless.

As some other hubbers have mentioned, don't judge a hubber by his cover, listen to what he or she has to say and THEN decide if their advice is worth taking or not.

Tracey wink

24. viryabo profile image93
    viryaboposted 14 years ago

I've never really thought much about this issue, though ive noticed it many times.
    They may be experts where they are coming from, testing the waters to see if they'll like HP. If its worth their while.
    Im very open when it gets to learning. I've learnt a thing or two from people who dont know as much as i do. Online and offline, so, i give everyone a chance to impart what they know.
    I always thirst for knowledge. From any source, as long as i learn something from it.

25. blondepoet profile image66
    blondepoetposted 14 years ago

I would say they are Russian spies. I am willing to listen if they give up a nice cabbage Piroshki.

26. cindyvine profile image70

Yeah Blonde, let's incarcerate them and force them to eat your boiled cabbage and fish heads.

1. blondepoet profile image66
      blondepoetposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Haha okie doke Cindy the one-two three, tie them up with my nylons it is, that is after they hand over the Piroshkis.

27. cindyvine profile image70

Get them to bring over some prawns.  I'm having one of those cravings.  Think I might go out and have a nice juicy steak with prawns on the side

Ohhhhhhhhhhh you just had to mention that to me ohhhhhhhh you have done it now....

28. cindyvine profile image70

Delicious succulent king prawns, dripping in garlic butter

Aghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

29. blondepoet profile image66
    blondepoetposted 14 years ago

I am going to be dreaming about this tonight you wait and see, torn between a prawn dream and an erotic one
    http://www.howtocookfish.info/recipes/crustaceans/prawns/tiger-prawn-pic.jpg
    POSSIBLE DREAM
    http://www.webwombat.com.au/lifestyle/fashion_beauty/images/jackman-1.jpg
    DESIRED DREAM

30. profile image0
    aquaseaCreativeposted 14 years ago

Is that Hugh?

In defence of the newbies.. it takes a little time to become acclimatised and the forums actually do help with that. I wouldn't presume to tell anyone how to work the site.. but I can chat about other stuff.

You will have to just await my hubs.

Yes it is Hugh he looks a lot different I have to say but a much better option than a prawn.....then again...mmmmm

31. profile image0
    aquaseaCreativeposted 14 years ago

How did you know about my desired dream Poet? lol

I have this gift, this incredible gift to forsee these things. I am not a greedy gal I will share the dream with you. do you want the shrimp half or Hugh smile smile

1. profile image0
        aquaseaCreativeposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I wouldn't expect haaalf. You got there first.
        Maybe once you tire of hugh, you could put in a good word.

Oh yes sure I can do that for you. The problem we are facing here is I won't tire of him, so I am going to have to use a timer, so we can swap half-time. smile smile

32. dawei888 profile image62
    dawei888posted 14 years ago

It's possible they're an established member and they're just asking under a new profile to hide their identity.

33. Lisa HW profile image63
    Lisa HWposted 14 years ago

I think it depends on what the advice is about.  If it's something non-HubPages-specific, I wouldn't think twice about taking it seriously (if it generally looked like someone knew what they were talking about; and it usually shows when people do know what they're talking about).

If it were about HubPages specifically, I wouldn't take it too seriously.  There are some things that only time on HubPages helps someone know about.  True, it could be one of those "alter-egos" - but I'd wonder, then, "Why not post the answer under the name/avatar that shows all the person's writing?"

34. earnestshub profile image80
    earnestshubposted 14 years ago

I would just like to point out that even those who are new to hubpages may have vast Internet experience, know and fully understand SEO and have other successful businesses online that have been profitable for many years.

Yes you are right

35. Late2class profile image60
    Late2classposted 14 years ago

Don't know if it happens on this site, but like on ebay, people have a login for posting auctions and then a seperate log in they use for posting on the forum.  That way it keeps people from bash or spamming an auction due to something they said.

Here on hp, I could see it if they want to say rude things and then not have to worry about people hitting the "no" I don't like that hub button at the bottom.

I have never use ebay but it looks quite different from hp.You can report or ignore posts that you think are spams

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)