Think Tank -- An Intelligent Thread

Jump to Last Post 1-10 of 10 discussions (12 posts)
  1. Connie Smith profile image81
    Connie Smithposted 14 years ago

Everyone is complaining that there are no intelligent forum topics to cover this week.  How about if we start that Think Tank that I think is possible here at Hub Pages, work together (instead of at cross purposes)and come up with useful and thoughtful solutions to problems that people or our governments are facing in the world using our collective brain power?

Instead of making fun or putting down one's opinion, I hope that the posters will give intelligent thought to their replies on why that might not be a good idea or why we agree that it might be one or more parts of a solution -- in other words, an experiment in hub etiquette as well.  Let us all be respectful of our fellow hubbers opinions as intelligent members of a think tank should be.  Our topic could change every week so. 

For the first topic, I had thought about healthcare in America, but, especially for the first one, I want us all, no matter where we are from, to be able to participate fully, if we choose to, so I believe that this issue is one that affects us all as world citizens:

One of our most precious resources is being depleted at an alarming rate.  The rainforest has been called the Earth's lungs as it is a major source of oxygen for us all.  It is estimated that 50 acres of rainforest disappear every MINUTE. What can we do to stop the depletion of the rainforests? 

This is a tricky issue for many of us because these rainforests are located in various countries in Central America, Africa, Asia, South America,and Australia.

2. profile image0
    Nelle Hoxieposted 14 years ago

Well, whatever country we are in has precious resources. And we can encourage our governments and industry leaders to use them wisely.

We can use your consumer dollars to support companies that create responsible products and act responsibly on a global level. And we can use resources wisely in our daily lives.

I love the phrase "Think globally, act locally."

3. earnestshub profile image81
    earnestshubposted 14 years ago

I try to save rainforest every day by limiting my use of paper products ans water as much as I can. I also go to a website every day to feed the primates and save rain forest. It is absolutly free to do so at redjellyfish.com

4. Connie Smith profile image81

I appreciate you two responding so quickly.  I have not formulated my thoughts as yet (even though it is my topic)but I just thought of it as I was posting the thread.  I do know that there are many issues to consider, such as loss of species, part of it is deforestation due to products and some of it is loss of acreage due to farming, with farmers needing to feed their families.

5. packerpack profile image61
    packerpackposted 14 years ago

Impressed very impressed!! A very good thread started here.

Governments of all countries around the world have to come up with a very strict rule on preserving the forest. A central monitoring body must be formed that will make sure that no rule by any country must be violated which may affect these forests. After world war 2 all countries felt the need to have UN that will prevent any future war on such scale similar should be the case here. The body have to be powerful, financially strong and honest.

I think your question for healthcare should have been more open rather then America centric. I am from India and have no idea about healthcare problem and facilities in America so I will speak about India. Here the biggest problem is CORRUPTION. Funds are there but it never reaches the correct place or is utilized in the way it is supposed to be. So corruption is the first thing we have to fight with to solve any problem here.

1. Connie Smith profile image81
      Connie Smithposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I agree, but how is a central body, like the UN (or another as yet unformed body), going to be able to enforce the rules on these individual countries with what they can and can not do with their own land that belongs to those countries? I do not think these countries are going to like it. How does the common good of the world prevail over the development plans of individual countries?

6. cashmere profile image76
    cashmereposted 14 years ago

It may sound Utopian, and impractical, but it is only when the people of the world unite that both ecological and health care problems get solved. I know it is near impossible for all the present governments to be tied to a single plan. They have way too different agendas.

For starters it is our task as ordinary citizens of the world to do something about it. Like Nellie says, think globally and act locally. There are worthy NGOs in every country who can do with some volunteers. All you really need to do is make a small difference in your own town. The cumulative effect will be mind blowing.

7. Eaglekiwi profile image73
    Eaglekiwiposted 14 years ago

Great thread Connie

I have been in the USA for almost 6mths
    Needed medical care a month back (unexpectedly)
    Apparently different climate and allergens set off asthma
    Never had it before ,anyway ,did not have insurance (travel insurance did last for 3mths) but in the hustle n bustle of settling in ,insurance just drifted into the background

Husband is American and a neighbour suggested a free clinic and after a phone call they told him , we can see your wife under your SS( as Im still awaiting my own,had documents etc)..
    Short version after bussing and walking to get there ,and a 2hr wait , we were turned away because we hadnt applied for welfare?
    (that is the only way to prove you have no funds?)...as we left the room of noticeably other immigrants, and made our way past the parked cadilacs, hubby became furious!!!usually I love that verbally expressive raw American spirit ,but not right then, lol

So now breathing is difficult for me ,the heat is climbing and the bus system is well in a word 'unreliable' (no car)
    5mins away ,just around the corner , a hospitable emergency room
    yayyyy!!
    No waiting ,xrayed,hooked up to meds,and 30 mins later ,one happy breathing girl again. Brilliant doctor,script and im out the door.(afforded half the script) wow that was the expensive

One month later $600 bill !!!..(adsense please take note) lol
    so as you can imagine ,the cars still on hold
    And if they dont hurry up with that green card, how the heck am I gonna pay it, scary.

p.s crazy thing is Id paid $300 for a full medical 2weeks earlier for USCIS (usual shots ,checks etc) but I feel like something is definately back to front.
    Good news ,hubby gotta job!!(wish he didnt have to walk his butt off, to get to it though)...
    Guess Rome wasnt built in a day either. smile

8. cashmere profile image76
    cashmereposted 14 years ago

EagleKiwi, tough people last, tough times don't. Hang in there, it will get better soon.

1. Eaglekiwi profile image73
      Eaglekiwiposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Aww thanks for the word of encouragement Cashmere ,always said that to my sons ,time to take my own  advice huh. smile

9. Connie Smith profile image81

Here are some rainforest depletion facts taken from http://www.rain-tree.com/facts.htm:

The Amazon Rainforest has been described as the "Lungs of our Planet" because it provides the essential environmental world service of continuously recycling carbon dioxide into oxygen. More than 20 percent of the world oxygen is produced in the Amazon Rainforest.

Rainforests once covered 14% of the earth's land surface; now they cover a mere 6% and experts estimate that the last remaining rainforests could be consumed in less than 40 years.

Most rainforests are cleared by chainsaws, bulldozers and fires for its timber value and then are followed by farming and ranching operations, even by world giants like Mitsubishi Corporation, Georgia Pacific, Texaco and Unocal.

Rainforests are being destroyed because the value of rainforest land is perceived as only the value of its timber by short-sighted governments, multi-national logging companies, and land owners.

The U.S. National Cancer Institute has identified 3000 plants that are active against cancer cells. 70% of these plants are found in the rainforest. Twenty-five percent of the active ingredients in today's cancer-fighting drugs come from organisms found only in the rainforest.

These facts show us how important the rainforests are to us all and there are many more at the website that I did not list.

10. Eaglekiwi profile image73
    Eaglekiwiposted 14 years ago

Reminds me of that Native American Poem

something about

..until all the fish have gone etc
    then they will relise???

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)