jump to last post 1-8 of 8 discussions (13 posts)

Do Hubbers prefer Editorial Commentary over Fiction?

1. Davinagirl3 profile image60
    Davinagirl3posted 8 years ago

I have written some fun fiction, but it seems I get more traffic on my Op. Ed. pieces.  What would you rather read?

1. Marisa Wright profile image94
      Marisa Wrightposted 8 years ago in reply to this

You are asking fellow Hubbers what they like to read.  Remember that Hubbers are only a small part of your audience!

If you are hoping to earn money from your Hubs, write non-fiction.  Fiction is a very poor earner everywhere on the internet.

Davinagirl3posted 8 years ago in reply to this

I am more interested in feedback on my fiction.  I am not really focused on the ad money.  That does answer a big question, though.  Thank you.

2. mirandalloyd profile image60
    mirandalloydposted 8 years ago

I like reading both (the editorials only if they're on a topic I enjoy), but I lean towards fiction a bit more. smile

3. Mike Craggs profile image75
    Mike Craggsposted 8 years ago

I don't really care which. I will read anything I think is good, be it fiction or factual.

4. deisai1 profile image61
    deisai1posted 8 years ago

Editorial if it is on a topic i want to read about.

5. profile image0
    Ghost32posted 8 years ago

Fiction IS my reality.  An Op Ed piece is only somebody ELSE'S opinion ennyhoo, and when it comes to most topics, I'm pretty stuck in my own viewpoint with a thoroughly closed mind and several thousand flexible yet deadly defenses and not much interest in lowering the drawbridge for the invader to come on in. 

But fiction?  Now, a FICTION writer (like Robert Jordan, my fiction writing idol even though he did pass on before finishing his epic masterpiece)...a FICTION writer may actually have a powerful VISION in which I can (and do) become absolutely IMMERSED, coming away (as Johnny Cash put it in A Boy Named Sue) with a "Different Point Of View".

To me, Op Ed is boring boring boring boring boring. 

Did I mention that it's boring?

I needed to hear that because I got an idea for a story while driving past a prison on the way to see my shrink.  I get ideas for stories at the drop of a hat.  I like to tinker with reality, a bit, myself. The music that was playing that day was angry and ominous.  I decided to write a horror/thriller.  Thank you for your input.

6. love my yorkies profile image60
    love my yorkiesposted 8 years ago

I like to read both.  depends on what i'm in the mood for at the time.

7. LondonGirl profile image90
    LondonGirlposted 8 years ago

What is Op Ed?

Opinion Editorial.

8. LondonGirl profile image90
    LondonGirlposted 8 years ago

Like, say, the leaders in a newspaper?

I don't do so many of those, mine are more factual-based.

They should be fact based, but whether they are or not, they still offer the opinion of the writer.

working