No Amazon ads showing?

Jump to Last Post 1-7 of 7 discussions (9 posts)
  1. genteelhart profile image61
    genteelhartposted 14 years ago

Hi all,

I apologize in advance if this is answered elsewhere. smile

I just submitted my first Hub a couple days ago, and my Google Adsense ads are showing up on it, but I don't see any Amazon ads.

I did get approved as an Amazon affiliate, and put that affiliate number in my account information just like I did my Adsense i.d.

Is it just that we don't necessarily get Amazon ads in every Hub? Or am I missing a step?

Thank you, I am very happy to be part of this community and hope to get to know you all here on the forums!

Pam

2. profile image0
    Ghost32posted 14 years ago

Genteelhart, to get Amazon ads to show up, you'll need to add an Amazon capsule to each Hub.  There's an icon for Amazon right up there (top right of the page) when you're in Edit mode.

They don't work automatically like AdSense does; much more labor intensive on the part of the Hubber.

Once you have a capsule where you want it, you also have to decide if you're going to give that batch of ads a heading (I do; seems like most don't.).  Then comes the decision whether to painstakingly pick out each PRODUCT to advertise in that spot  on that page, or just use keywords and let Amazon's computer pick 'em.  You're not going to be thrilled to hear this, but (on mine at least) the keyword pickem tool is worthless. 

How worthless is it?  So much so that more often than not, Amazon's computer comes back with a "no Amazon products found" message, which I interpret to be Amazonian for "You're an idiot; why are you writing dumb stuff like that?"

So I go to all the trouble--and it IS trouble--to pick out a few products that actually fit the Hub.  No wonder my average time to produce one Hub runs around 6 hours. 

I'm pretty new at using Amazon.  If anyone else knows a simpler, better and more profitable way to do it, let's you and me BOTH hope they post after I do.  In my case (as of right now), I've had some clicks from Amazon but no sales, and they only pay on actual sales. 

I do also foresee a potential Amazon related problem:  If a product I placed on a Hub is no longer available, then what?  Oh me.  Oh my.

Have fun.

3. Marisa Wright profile image85
    Marisa Wrightposted 14 years ago

Ghost, you're spot on.  If you want to use Amazon products, you should always select individual products using the ASIN numbers. I can usually get the keyword option to work, but you won't usually make any sales using it.

To sell anything from Amazon on your Hub, it has to be very tightly associated with the content, so you need to choose exactly the right products, and add a short review to each of them.

I can only get gift certificates from Amazon because I'm not in the States - they will pay me by cheque but it's in US dollars, which would cost me about $35 to bank, so it's not worth it.  I did have them on my Hubs regardless for a while, but they made such poor sales I've deleted most of them.

4. profile image0

Marisa, I totally understand and agree.  Genteelhart, if you do things the ugly way like I do, you'll also need to figure out HOW to get the right code from Amazon for each product.  What's been working for me is:

1.  Get the specific page for a given product on your screen (on the Amazon site).

2.  Highlight the URL bar.

3.  Click on the bar again to UN-highlight it.

4.  The URL will have jumped to the left somewhat when you did number 3.  The bit of code you want is ten alphanumeric goodies long.  On some (of mine so far anyway) it shows just to the right of a "dp/".  On others it will START with a "B". 

5.  Copy the 10 digit code.

6.  Go back to your Amazon capsule on the Hub and paste the code into the appropriate box.

7.  Rinse and repeat until satisfied or too disgusted to continue.

1. Lady_E profile image61
      Lady_Eposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Thanks for this info.  I tried using Amazon on a Hub yesterday and it didn't work for me. These are useful tips.

5. genteelhart profile image61

Wow! I had no idea.

Thank you both for the quick replies. I suppose I'll experiment with them and see how it goes.

Dare I hope that, if a sale is made, the revenue MIGHT make some of this labor worth it?

6. profile image0

One can always hope.  I should know; been living on the stuff for a while!

7. genteelhart profile image61

Okay, it wasn't actually TOO dreary once I got into it.

Ghost, just to let you know, I found all my ASINs and ISBN in the body (had to scroll down some) of each product page itself, clearly identified, so I didn't have to use the URL bar "hunt an ASIN". wink I don't know if that would be faster for you or not.

I just plucked four random products (relating to my article) out of the basic search, but I will definitely go back and find/review items that I've actually used now that I know how to do it.

Thanks again!

1. Marisa Wright profile image85
      Marisa Wrightposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Yes, that's exactly the way it's done. 

Some people do well on Amazon - but if the products are low value, you're only going to get a small commssion. So I think the trick is to write Hubs that relate to high-value items.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)