jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (9 posts)

‘fan’ etiquette

1. Betsy Baywatch profile image60
    Betsy Baywatchposted 7 years ago

What is the ‘fan’ etiquette here in hub pages?
    1. Do hubbers become fans of other hubbers because they enjoy the content of  their chosen ‘idols’ or perhaps ,is it to become a fan- to get a fan?
    2. If so-then does the number of one’s fans have any bearing on ratings and does this affect traffic at all? Please advise.

1. Drew Breezzy profile image82
      Drew Breezzyposted 7 years ago in reply to this

alot of people fan simply to get a fan back and increase the likely hood of their hubs getting viewed

2. Marisa Wright profile image92
      Marisa Wrightposted 7 years ago in reply to this

Yes, some people play that game.  Personally, I don't - I think the word "fan" should mean what it says it means.  I have never "fanned" anyone back just because they joined my fan club, and it doesn't seem to have done me any harm!

If you join someone's fan club, you can get notified if they write something.  I like to keep my list small enough that my email inbox doesn't get overwhelmed, and I stand some chance of checking out at least some of the Hubs I'm notified about.  If you go around joining every fan club in site, you're likely to end up switching off notifications, and then what's the point?

I think the number of fans may do some good for your Hubscore, but that has no effect on the traffic that really counts, which is the paying traffic that comes from search engines.

3. darkside profile image83
      darksideposted 7 years ago in reply to this

1. Usually they're fake fans who are doing it so you can return the favour.

2. It has no affect on traffic. Quality traffic comes from outside HubPages. Particularly search engine traffic.

Here are my thoughts on fanning.

1. Marisa Wright profile image92
        Marisa Wrightposted 7 years ago in reply to this

that's a good Hub!

2. Dame Scribe profile image61
    Dame Scribeposted 7 years ago

Hey..that's a idea! big_smile get HP team to set up a *Digest* for our fans smile then no huge email delivery but yes, I won't fan right away either with a newbie in the event of jus gettin spammed tongue

3. 0
    Ghost32posted 7 years ago

I will Fan a Newbie if he/she "feels right"...but then I got married 7 times working from that same mindset, so don't go by me! big_smile

4. bgpappa profile image85
    bgpappaposted 7 years ago

Pretty funny ghost.  But I am sure you were a fan of all of them.

I refuse to fan spam fanners, those who funny twenty people a minute.  I won't even read there stuff right away but wait to find it later. But if someone fans me, leaves a good comment, then I will check their stuff out.  Generally, because someone goes through that effort, their stuff is good and I become their fan.

5. rapmanual profile image61
    rapmanualposted 7 years ago

Most of you also write good content too, which is key.