I've joined hubpages a few days ago. I have spent quite a lot of time writing my 4 hubs so far, and I like to get feedback and advice. My questions are:
1. What's wrong about my hubs?
2. What's good about my hubs?
3. Is it okay that it takes ~3-4 hours to construct a hub?
4. Why don't people vote?
Thank you for your time and answers.
edit: An additional question-
5. Why do the first two Adsense blocks show irrelevant ads, like 'bad credit', 'foreign exchange' etc. on a hub about neon tetras?
Well written Hubs. Very interesting. Nice layouts and good pics.
As for Top Female Fantasy's - my oh my. That will get a lot of viewing. The hubscore is already in the 70s. This is one area that gets a lot of page views. I did one on Naked women (as an experiment) and the views were extremely high.
Some other Hubbers will no doubt answer the other questions you have.
Welcome to HP.
I scanned 3 of your Hubs and will respond to your questions:
1. Not much wrong with your Hubs that I can see. You might want to consider including a few outbound links. Some Hubbers DON'T do that, believing that inbound links are the only ones that count. I DO put outbound links in mine on the theory that it enriches the Hub. Your call, just something to consider. The "authority" sites use 'em....
2. There is a LOT right with your Hubs. The coverage of topic is spot on, the illustrations are vivid and dynamic, and the length is A-OK. I particularly liked your mention that neon tetras tend to be peaceful critters; that's important information. I also like your placement of the Amazon ads, probably because that's about where I put my own. Great minds think alike and all that.
3. This question is a REALLLY good one! There are a number of Hubbers that can really crank 'em out--there must be, or how else could they accept the "Write 100 Hubs in 30 Days" challenge? In my case, I'm LUCKY if I can get a Hub done in 3-4 hours. 6 hours is not unusual.
4. I don't know why other people don't vote, but I don't do it because I purely personally HATE those little voting surveys. Not knocking yours in particular. It's just that they make me feel like somebody is grabbing me by the throat and yelling in my face, "QUIT BEING A READER AND PARTICIPATE, TURKEY!!" Man, I detest those. But I'm probably a freak of nature in that regard; let's hope you get some other responses with a more balanced point of view.
5. I know what you mean about those first two AdSense blocks showing irrelevant ads, but they don't always. It may be that Google has only so many "neon tetra" ads available to run and they have to use "filler ads" for the rest, but I don't claim to be an authority on the subject in any way whatsoever. Maybe someone who DOES know will enlighten us both.
I agree the Hubs look good. A few small things:
The prime position for ads is in the top right hand corner, so you don't want to put anything there (unless it's an Amazon or eBay capsule).
Where you have a right-floated capsule, it looks really weird if it's longer than the text capsule it's next to. What you get is a big white space!
When you first publish a Hub, the ads won't be relevant - it takes a little while for Adsense to work out what your article is about. Give it time! Plus, there will be times when there simply aren't enough relevant ads.
I'd be careful about publishing too many Hubs on sex. Adsense has very strict rules on "adult content", and they check using an automated system that is just plain dumb. The stupid result is that someone can publish a Hub full of half-naked Indian starlets and get away with it, yet someone else can publish a serious article about improving your sex life and get penalised. Annoying, but they pay the bills so what can you do?
Finally - outbound links. I think I'm going to start a thread to ask this question, as Ghost32 and I were discussing it just the other day. I don't think they're a good idea and Ghost does!
Thank you for the advice Ghost and Marisa!
@Ghost32: I spend about 40% of the time on selecting the right pictures for my hubs. I hope most people appreciate lively, high quality pictures as much as I do. As for the writing time: I hate when I find a hub with a REALLY exciting title, just to see that it's about 200 words 'long'. It's like ordering your favorite food in the restaurant and receiving it in a small pot, half-cooked.
Votes: I use them for getting some feedback from the readers. Let's face it, most of us are too lazy to write comments. It's much easier to click on a poll option. I can understand your point though, some polls are just rude.
I'm a bit worried about Google's policy on sexual content as well, I hope my hubs won't trigger the alarm.
I'll try and arrange my next hubs according to your advice. I often end up facing a difficult choice of looks vs. ad placement. I'll be honest, I'd love to make some money with my hubs. However, my priority is to provide a visually pleasing and mentally satisfying content.
SJust read one of your hubs..... how good do you want to get, I mean you are brilliant already.... take a look at my hubs now, and give me some constructive critique...dont tellme put pictures up I will soon when I GET MY NEW COMPUTER.... PROBABLY THE DAY AFTER THE POPE GETS MARRIED......
Thanks for the feedback!
Just an update:
I've reached the milestone of 1000 views. My hub about female sexual fantasies is getting some INSANE number of visitors. 300+ in the last 24 hours. I'm pretty sure I'm gonna post something about sex again, as people seem to like the topic so much. I'll just have to do some more research.
by Bible Studies5 years ago
I got into an interesting discussion on another thread, and thought it would make a good thread itself. The question of the day is how do you feel about other hubbers clicking on an ad in your hubs?Personally I really...
by Paul Edmondson2 years ago
I've been doing a lot of thinking about the types of services we offer Hubbers and how to help Hubbers improve.A few services that have been suggested- grammar and spell checking- suggesting edits- providing...
by RanaKm23 months ago
So, I've had a hub unpublished due to HP claiming that it's overly promotional.The hub only has 2 outbound links ( which is the number of links we're allowed to put for the other external sites ) this is the only thing...
by nell796 years ago
I'm just wondering as a newbie here (four weeks yesterday, if my math is right ) if it's common practice for hubbers to write hubs with the intent of ridiculing or tearing apart other hubbers? I've recently experienced...
by inggo4 years ago
How many hubs do I need to publish before Google Adsense approves my application? I know this question has been asked many times but I know there are a lot of helpful hubbers here who can help. By the way, here's my...
by Jennifer Maurer7 years ago
I just wrote a Hub last week entitled "Adam Lambert Sexed for Success". It did quite well, in fact it receive over 1700 views in less than a week. (that's good for me, anyway). My overall ranking on hubpages...
Copyright © 2017 HubPages Inc. and respective owners.
Other product and company names shown may be trademarks of their respective owners.
HubPages® is a registered Service Mark of HubPages, Inc.
HubPages and Hubbers (authors) may earn revenue on this page based on affiliate relationships and advertisements with partners including Amazon, Google, and others.