Who would've thought?

Jump to Last Post 1-10 of 10 discussions (25 posts)
  1. Lady_E profile image62
    Lady_Eposted 14 years ago

What is happening or what is in the World today, that you never thought you would see 5 years ago?

For me it would be:

1. The Transgender man who had a baby last year in America.

2. Sophistication of Fraud. (My bank called sometime asking if I was using my Credit Card. I assured them I was at home and had it.  They said someone just used it for a £750 transaction in a Post Office. Long story short, they cancelled it)

1. Mrvoodoo profile image56
      Mrvoodooposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I hope that was your bank who called you?? You didn't give them your bank details in order to cancel it did you?

I've heard of other people having received calls like that, and it wasn't the bank calling.

2. Davinagirl3 profile image61
      Davinagirl3posted 14 years agoin reply to this

Evidentally, my husband's credit card had been used to get someone's phone turned on across town.  When they stopped paying their bill, my husband started getting calls from creditors.  Identity theives are the lowest of the low.  They are scum.

2. Lisa HW profile image62
    Lisa HWposted 14 years ago

I have to say that over the last ten/fifteen years, nothing surprises me.   smile  I suppose a few advances in technology in just the last five years would be my "things".  Something as simple as what most cell phones do today is different/more advanced than what most did five years ago.

1. Drew Breezzy profile image62
      Drew Breezzyposted 14 years agoin reply to this

True technology is mind blowing.

1. profile image0
        ryankettposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Technology is a strange thing. You will go far in life if you take your time to really try and understand how it works, and not just how to make it work. On the other hand, if you make no effort at all to understand at least how to make it work, you become redundant and deskilled.

3. manlypoetryman profile image76
    manlypoetrymanposted 14 years ago

The Automotive Industry and the Oil and Gas Industry not being friendly or cooperative with each other...like last year at this time when they both started finger pointing at each other.

4. Beth100 profile image69
    Beth100posted 14 years ago

The past five years has me astounded at how:

1.  unhealthy the world has become (physically and mentally) considering the new advances in technology and information that is available to the public to improve or maintain their health;
    2.  violent the world has become and how violence is glorified through video, video games and other media resulting in the desensitization of the impact of violence for the users;
    3.  we are able to send probes and satellites into the depths of space;
    4.  amazing the photos of space are that we have received from the probes and satellites; 
    5.  Galileo was able to see the stars and planets with his "technology" at the time; and
    6.  dependent we have become on computers, robotics and electronics in our daily lives.

1. Drew Breezzy profile image62
      Drew Breezzyposted 14 years agoin reply to this

video games the cause of violence really?

Violence has plagued mankind for ages. I don't think the world is any more full of violence than it was before.

1. Beth100 profile image69
        Beth100posted 14 years agoin reply to this

If you read carefully, I did not state that video games is the cause of violence.  I stated that violence is glorified which desensitizes the user.  This has been proven.  Read before you criticize!

2. profile image0
      ryankettposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I agree a lot with number 2. There is pretty much a whole community of people on YouTube that share videos of 'street fights' and in Britain 'Happy slapping'. The fact that people can drool over aggression 24/7 on the internet is a rather worrying thing. As for number 6..... I have thought about this point a lot, I love my laptop! as long as you keep healthy social relationships with real life people!

5. manlypoetryman profile image76
    manlypoetrymanposted 14 years ago

5 years ago...I would've never thought (or believed) that Gilchrist, Texas would literally be blown off the map in a gigantic hurricane (Ike).

6. Colebabie profile image61
    Colebabieposted 14 years ago

That we would have a black president.

That there would be a HPV vaccine.

That there would be a pill that could "make a guy harder than chinese algebra." (robin williams smile) ( I think that would actually be in the last 10 years)

That a person would have a face transplant.

1. nicomp profile image62
      nicompposted 14 years agoin reply to this

If you're referring to the US, We don't have a black president. His Mom was not black. The race of a baby is typically determined by the race of the mother.

1. profile image0
        fierycjposted 14 years agoin reply to this

poor me, i thought race was determined by the color of skin. Hmmm.

1. Colebabie profile image61
          Colebabieposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Uh yeah that's what I thought too. Race is socially constructed.

2. anjalichugh profile image67
          anjalichughposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Fierycj: You make me laugh all the time. I have to thank you for this. lol  lol  lol

1. profile image0

much obliged. Still taking me out, Anjali?

1. anjalichugh profile image67
              anjalichughposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Well, that's your perrogative, I suppose. smile

1. profile image0

I should be the man's man, huh.

7. lrohner profile image69
    lrohnerposted 14 years ago

5 years ago, I never woulda thunk:

Online social media would be such a part of people's lives.

Michael Jackson would be dead this early in his life.

I would actually be making money online.

We'd still be at war.

Paris Hilton would still be news.  smile

8. profile image0
    fierycjposted 14 years ago

That a movie like Brüno would top the US Box Office - but then again, maybe I did see it coming.

9. lrohner profile image69
    lrohnerposted 14 years ago

LOL, CJ. I couldn't have said it any better! smile

1. profile image0

dont you just miss the good old days, darling?

10. rosariomontenegro profile image69
    rosariomontenegroposted 14 years ago

I really don't know the scientific definition of race, if there is one. I know that science seems to know, nowadays, that we are all cousins. ALL of us, humans, are connected by blood, we are all, truly, relatives. We are all of African origine, by the way. Our Mother Eve was African, according to the detective work that has been done with our DNA.

This having been said, these are the things 5 years ago I would not have imagined:

1- The solar plane that was presented a couple of weeks ago in Switzerland, with the sponsorship of prince Albert de Monaco, with the presence of Swiss govermnent's Ministers, and such.
    2- The growing number of people interested in true spirituality, inside or beyond the limits of institutional churches.
    3- A black President for the United States.
    4- That I would get a cheap device for backing up and storing my computer's things with a capacity of 1000 gigs. One T.
    5- That people would talk to each other about their domestic lives openly in Facebook or Twitter. Already they were shouting their most intimate thoughts in the streets with cell phones, but to WRITE publicly about what they are having for dinner for the world to know? No, this I would never had imagined.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)