jump to last post 1-11 of 11 discussions (13 posts)

No Comment Capsule

1. bgpappa profile image82
    bgpappaposted 7 years ago

Just curious, why would a hubber not provide a place for comments?  Do they not what to hear from the peanut gallery?

I read a hub, thought it was good, wanted to comment, not there.  Found it odd.

2. 0
    wordscribe41posted 7 years ago

Have wondered the same thing.

3. expectus profile image86
    expectusposted 7 years ago

I find lots of religious hubs without comment boxes and I think its due to abusive hate comments, but its strange not to see them on some great hubs out there

4. SweetiePie profile image83
    SweetiePieposted 7 years ago

Some people might just accidentally close the capsule?  I did that once on accident and did not realize it until a day later.

1. alekhouse profile image81
      alekhouseposted 7 years ago in reply to this

This was my first inclination. Otherwise, maybe they just don't want comments. Is that so bad?

5. bgpappa profile image82
    bgpappaposted 7 years ago

I thought about them being left out by accident and that certainly could be one reason.  As for the religous ones, and the political ones for that matter, if you are going to say something someone is going to disagree.  At least let people spout their opinion and then rebut them.

6. Paper Moon profile image83
    Paper Moonposted 7 years ago

There seems to be many reasons, but if it is a great hub, I give them a comment by messageing anyway.

1. Elena. profile image89
      Elena.posted 7 years ago in reply to this

Ditto.  And, one of the reasons for leaving the comments out could be that one doesn't want to turn a piece into a comment circus smile

7. SweetiePie profile image83
    SweetiePieposted 7 years ago

Or you can delete a comment that is too confrontational.  The way I see is the hub is my voice, and forum is available for the more frictive disagreements.  Some times the hubs are just a safe haven for those who do not want to deal with comment wars.  I have deleted a few comments and do not apologize for it because the hub is the opportunity for the writer to share, and if someone is being too disagreeable I just delete. 

Sometimes their comment might be good, but I have received novel length comments that were basically critiquing everything I had to share, and that basically means the person should be writing their own hub on the subject.  The hub itself is an opportunity for the writer to spread their wings and fly, and sometimes they may not want all comments.  Some people have deleted my well meaning comments in the past, but I never was offended.  However, it is better to have a comment capsule for those comments that would enrich a hub.

8. Lisa HW profile image84
    Lisa HWposted 7 years ago

I've accidentally deleted the capsule, but I suppose I can see how someone may write one particular Hub or another and just not want comments on it for one reason or another.

9. 0
    ralwusposted 7 years ago

It could be the hubber is so busy with some other things that said hubber doesn't want the comment thing to be on his mind all the time allowing hubber to do these other things while not leaving the comments go unchecked. said hubber may go back and open comments for the peanut gallery's when other things are done.

10. Mrvoodoo profile image61
    Mrvoodooposted 7 years ago

If I write a commercial product review kind of hub I'll often remove the comment box.  Chances are it's not going to receive many comments because there's not really anything to debate, and most importantly this brings the bottom Adsense block right up to the bottom of the article removing the comments block as a barrier in between, which could possibly increase clicks.

11. Pete Maida profile image59
    Pete Maidaposted 7 years ago

I did that once by mistake.  Once I realized it I put the comment capsule on.  I feed on the comments of my readers.  It makes HubPages what it is.