jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (6 posts)

Does anyone know how to....

1. WeddingConsultant profile image83
    WeddingConsultantposted 7 years ago

Reverse engineer an RSS feed to see who's subscribed (or how many people are subscribed) to an RSS feed?

2. WeddingConsultant profile image83

Or is it simply not possible?

3. Misha profile image75
    Mishaposted 7 years ago

IDK Pete, I am not too proficient with RSS. I think I heard that if you "burn" it through feedburner you get quite a lot of stats, may be they have what you need too smile

4. fritteritter profile image92
    fritteritterposted 7 years ago

Misha nailed it, FeedBurner is definitely what you want for any feeds you distribute going forward. You can also include advertising in your feed but I think the top benefit is that you can analyze traffic. It's separate from Google Analytics for web sites, but nonetheless very useful for feed tracking. Google (owner of FeedBurner) has some info in its support section:
    http://www.google.com/support/feedburne … opic=13075

Your current subscribers will not contribute to FeedBurner's stats unless you get them to resubscribe to your new FeedBurner URL for the feed. That could be a pain. Your best bet is probably to make new RSS feeds for each of the separate topics that you write about and distribute them through FeedBurner.

The other way to get feed usage statistics is from the server log files. You would have to contact HubPages to get that info, but I'm not sure they would have any interest in digging it up.

5. WeddingConsultant profile image83

Good thoughts, thanks you two.

@fritteritter Have you plugged any hubpages stuff into feedburner? That's really where my curiosity lies. And if I'm doing everything right on feedburner I have one subscriber to my new hubs- me! haha

1. fritteritter profile image92
      fritteritterposted 7 years ago in reply to this

Well, I just started writing here 2 weeks ago and don't have quite a big enough repository of info on any one subject to get my feeds approved anywhere important. I plan to strike up a Feedburner account within the next month or so, but for now I'm still working on figuring out HP and stubbing out article ideas for when I have time to write them.

Before that time, I'm going to implement Feedburner for RSS syndication for a gaming news web site which will undoubtedly gain considerably more traffic than my hubs. I'll try to get joint access to that Feedburner account to check out the stats in action and post back.

Reading other forum posts, I see that HubPages does not support Feedburner ads. I don't know exactly what that means and can't tell whether that means the ads don't work, or if they don't support Feedburner in general. It may be a minor issue since requests to HP feeds would go to Feedburner instead - which means HP could no longer track stats on those feeds...