jump to last post 1-7 of 7 discussions (9 posts)

New Hubber here. Would appreciate feedback to my very first hub.

1. euro-pen profile image80
    euro-penposted 7 years ago

I am totally new here. I discovered hubpages some 2 weeks ago, wrote my first hub off-line, signed up today and battled some 3 hours with the layout until finally publishing the results.

My hub belongs to the travel info / interesting places category. Thus it has no selling motivation whatsoever behind.

I am somewhat suspicious about the length of my hub. Somehow I fear it is too long. Also I had quite some troubles with editing / layouting, especially including/integrating photos. Is it possible to change text capsules in hindsight so that smaller photos get aligned within the text (I have one such capsule but was not able to integrate a second similar one.

I would really appreciate some advice/critique along those lines.

Thank you.

Here is the url of my hub: http://hubpages.com/hub/Semmering-Railway

1. Koby profile image60
      Kobyposted 7 years ago in reply to this

If you would like some critique, all i can say is this. I heard that viewers are more attracted to your page if paragraphs are no more than four lines long.  Its less likely that they will suffer from information overload that way.  Nice hub.

2. Ultimate Hubber profile image81
    Ultimate Hubberposted 7 years ago

Well, doesn't really look like a first hub. Trust me seems like a professional writer equipped with all the useful SEO tactics has written it.

Seems like you know a lot about SEO and writing and you have been practically doing them before too.

1. euro-pen profile image80
      euro-penposted 7 years ago in reply to this

Well, thank you. Yes, I do some writing in my everyday job (though it's more of the academic type). Your positive response to my writing means quite a lot for me since English is not my native language. I have to admit that writing in English can be very painful for me smile.

(I did read some stuff about SEO though I did not have SEO techniques explicitly in mind when writing this hub.)

3. bigmikeh profile image79
    bigmikehposted 7 years ago

I agree - well written and factual. Don't worry about the length - it's a subject that justifies the detail. And to answer your question - yes, you can alter the layout as much as you want, even after the hub is published.

4. gurgel1 profile image60
    gurgel1posted 7 years ago

5. kmackey32 profile image82
    kmackey32posted 7 years ago

Yes great job!

6. Dame Scribe profile image60
    Dame Scribeposted 7 years ago

I think you did a great job even if not well versed in English. smile welcome to HubPages.

7. euro-pen profile image80
    euro-penposted 7 years ago

Thanks for all your motivating response. I hope that my English writing will improve by writing more and more. However, I am astonished by the number of hubs some people are producing in a given time period. Though I do have enough ideas for future hubs I seem to need a lot more time for researching and writing.

@Koby: Yes, I have to admit that some of my paragraphs are way too long. It is really difficult to decide what to put in and what to be left out.