jump to last post 1-13 of 13 discussions (18 posts)

So, where don't you want to live...sigh...

1. Jane@CM profile image61
    Jane@CMposted 7 years ago

A few weeks ago I posted that my hubby was put on paid furlough.  Today, they found out that over 300 people will be let go, he still has no clue if he'll get called back or not.  So he asked where "don't" I want to live, as he begins to send out resumes.  I can rule out several states off the top of my head.  So where would you "not" want to live???

If I had my choice, I'd be as close to the ocean as possible, but at this point in time, with the economy as it is, I'd say we go where ever there is a job!!!!

So this steered me far away from my 30 day hub writing.  Maybe all my hubs will be about how to stop worrying in 12 easy steps.

1. Army Infantry Mom profile image61
      Army Infantry Momposted 7 years ago in reply to this

I live in Michigan and it totally Sucks !!!! No jobs,.......
      Am making plans to move to Tennessee,..

2. Drew Breezzy profile image81
      Drew Breezzyposted 7 years ago in reply to this

You are welcome to come to florida! But jobs are hard to come by...

2. Davinagirl3 profile image60
    Davinagirl3posted 7 years ago

I am from the south, so I wouldn't want to live anywhere where I had to shovel snow.  That is something I couldn't get used to.

3. lrohner profile image86
    lrohnerposted 7 years ago

Jane, I don't have the links in front of me, but there are several news sites out there that have published the places LEAST hit by the recession and MOST hit by the recession. I would start there and whittle it down according to your likes and dislikes.

I am so sorry about hubby's furlough. Keep us all posted.

1. Jane@CM profile image61
      Jane@CMposted 7 years ago in reply to this

I just was looking at some of that information, in what I found our state is one of the least hit.  Which is GREAT news.

I truly will not mind if we have to leave Minnesota - yes, where you have to shovel.  Just last weekend, had the mittens on for a morning soccer game sad 

Thanks for all your input/support smile

4. 0
    annvansposted 7 years ago

The south is great, but some places are hard to find jobs.  Snow would not be my choice.  I have lived where it snows and hated it only because I didn't know how to deal with it.  The heat is also terrible in the south sometimes.  I think that middle Georgia would be good for weather.  I would not want to live right on the ocean and I have lived about 30 minutes from the ocean, but you have to deal with all of the storms and outrageous prices if you live on a popular beach.  Not to mention tourists and all the big events that make you have to deal with all of the heavy traffic.

5. kmackey32 profile image81
    kmackey32posted 7 years ago

I live in PA. It sucks here. My husband has been on unemployment for about 18 months. There are noooo jobs hiring anyplace.

1. Paper Moon profile image84
      Paper Moonposted 7 years ago in reply to this

I would have to agree PA sucks.  The north western forests are beautiful, but not a good state to live in!

1. kmackey32 profile image81
        kmackey32posted 7 years ago in reply to this

Yes it does and too top it all off, you have people trying to rip off the already poor...

6. kmackey32 profile image81

And the only reason I can afford internet is because its included in my rent. I pay my landlords utilities for his computer business. Nice aint it..

7. Shirley Anderson profile image86
    Shirley Andersonposted 7 years ago

Summer - Either Southwestern or Northern Ontario
    Winter - Arizona, U.S.A.

I'm Canadian and I hate cold and snow.

YIKES!!!  I just realized that I'd gotten caught up in the posts about shoveling snow and posted where I want to live rather than the reverse.

Okay, try again.

I would not want to live in Canada one more winter.  Nor would I care to live in a third world country for obvious reasons or any state that has cold and snow like we have here. 

Think that covers it globally.

Best of luck to your and your hubby in the job search!

8. Davinagirl3 profile image60
    Davinagirl3posted 7 years ago

It is really tough all over.  Luckily my husband works in health care.  People always get sick, but even some hospitals have had hiring freezes.  I don't know of any place that hasn't suffered somewhat.

9. AEvans profile image74
    AEvansposted 7 years ago

Although I love the West Coast I would not recommend it as we are still nose diving with the recession and we are one of the hardest hit areas in the U.S. There are more people unemployed then there are jobs. My job is solid but we do have a hiring freeze which is unfortunate. sad

10. kmackey32 profile image81

I believe in Carma though.

11. Colebabie profile image61
    Colebabieposted 7 years ago

I live in South Florida. A lot of people hate it, but I love it. I live 5 minutes from the beach. Yes it is expensive. It is very diverse down here, you learn a lot about people. Great food, always something going on. The east coast of Florida is great because you have big cities and suburbs all up and down. West coast is more relaxed and not as dense. My uncle lives in N. Dakota, no thanks! We have also been hit hard though because we lost a lot of tourism. My dad lost his job and is currently working a temp job for like half the pay. Unemployment here has a cap of $275 a week. Better than nothing, but not possible for a family of 5.

12. 60
    untiedshoelaceposted 7 years ago

Depends how much you want to spend. I love it here in North Jersey. You wouldn't know the country is doing bad because everyone from my town pays $30,000 property taxes and drive Lexus'. Our winters are the only thing that would drive me to the South. I would not move anywhere North of New Jersey because of the harsh winters. (Franklin Lakes, NJ or Wayne, NJ)

13. Rhianni32 profile image83
    Rhianni32posted 7 years ago

Nowhere in the southeast of the US. Too hot and humid. I'd prefer dry heat it I had the choice.