jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (8 posts)

What do I say/ He lost 2 in 24 hours

1. dotty32 profile image60
    dotty32posted 7 years ago

My brother in-law lost his father and grandfather all in the past 24 hours. I want to call him but don't know what to say. They are due back from vacation today and going straight to the fathers house. Please, what do I say to him.

1. Eaglekiwi profile image73
      Eaglekiwiposted 7 years ago in reply to this

Im sorry , about your loss

2. curiozities profile image59
      curiozitiesposted 7 years ago in reply to this

Wow, I'm sorry to hear about your and your brother-in-law's loss.  It's not clear from your post if your brother-in-law doesn't know and you are agonizing about being the one to tell him, or if he already knows and you do not know how to express your condolences. 

In the event he does NOT know, you should call him immediately and let him know.  Far worse that he should find out later that you knew and were in a position to tell him but you did not. 

If he already knows, I'd wait until you were sure that he had already been at his father's house for some time and then call him to express your sympathy. 

Either way, best of luck to you and your brother-in-law.  I will keep him and you in my prayers.

3. Davinagirl3 profile image60
      Davinagirl3posted 7 years ago in reply to this

My mother lost her grandmother and then her great aunt had an aneurism and died at the funeral.  Things like that are terrible and hard to deal with.  My advice is just to be there for him and his family.  A little TLC is all you can give in these situations.

2. RooBee profile image83
    RooBeeposted 7 years ago

Sorry to hear of such tragic losses! If it were me in your position, I'd call to offer my condolences. I'd probably say something like, "I know you may not want to talk right now, but I'm available to lend an ear anytime. There's no way I can know what you're feeling right now, but please let me know if there is anything I can do to help you through this -even if its bringing you a meal or watching the kids for a bit (or whatever applies)."
    Just let him know you care about him, are thinking of him, and that you want to help ease his burden if possible.

1. Ron Montgomery profile image61
      Ron Montgomeryposted 7 years ago in reply to this

Perfect.  The worst thing to do is not call because you don't know what to say.

3. dotty32 profile image60
    dotty32posted 7 years ago

Thank you so much for those who have sent in your replys. You have no idea how you have helped me. I will keep you up todate. You can read the whole story at my hub page. Don't forget to join my fan club so I can keep you up todate. Again thank you so much for all the advice.

4. LondonGirl profile image90
    LondonGirlposted 7 years ago

Saying something is important, I think.

My other half's parents died within a few weeks of each other when I was pregnant with our son. He got a bit fed up of people trying to look on the bright side, "well, it must be a comfort that the baby's on it's way!" when actually, it wasn't a comfort at all.

He found the most comforting remarks were those which acknowledged that everything was shite.