jump to last post 1-8 of 8 discussions (9 posts)

Free domain?

1. johnb0127 profile image76
    johnb0127posted 7 years ago

Is there such thing or website where you can get free domains?  I have searched and you have to pay about 25 bucks a year for your own domain.  Know of a site with one for free?

2. curiozities profile image60
    curiozitiesposted 7 years ago

I'm not aware of anyone who offers a free domain name but you can get them for roughly $10 or so at Go Daddy.  You can, with a domain name you purchase anywhere, get your domain name hosted for free, however.  I wrote about it here: http://hubpages.com/hub/your-first-webs … -beginners

3. nicomp profile image61
    nicompposted 7 years ago

The cost of a domain is a function of:

1. The service that registers it for you,

2. and the TLD that you want to use.

The older TLDs such as .com, net, .org, .edu are about $12 per year. Other TLDs may be much more; shop around for specific costs.

Domain name registration services all do the same thing; they all submit your registered name to the same databases. Some will provide additional bells and whistles like anonymity or domain parking.

4. Eric Graudins profile image60
    Eric Graudinsposted 7 years ago

BEWARE of companies offering free domain names.

These are generally  offered by web hosting companies as an incentive to host with them.

the hosting company normally registers the domain in their own name, and you have no control over it.

If you ever want to move to a different web host be prepared for lots of problems and expenses.

Control over your domain name is the most important internet assett you have. Don't give it away for the sake of saving a few dollars a year.

Register it yourself at www.name.com for around $10 per year.
    Don't use GoDaddy. see www.nodaddy.com for some very good reasons.

Cheers, Eric G.

1. 0
      cosetteposted 7 years ago in reply to this

i have to second that one.

5. 3bagsfull profile image78
    3bagsfullposted 7 years ago

someone has to register your domain name. you unfortunately cannot do this yourself(from what I understand)

so -- you must use a service provider who can do this for you - for a fee

there are TONS of service providers and the majority charge roughly $10 --- PER YEAR. You need to determine how long you want to own the site name - it makes more sense to buy a couple of years in advance

otherwise, if you forget to renew the name, it automatically goes up for grabs and technically someone could buy it and lock you out (it is rare but can happen)

6. 60
    blogerposted 7 years ago
  7. mymagicview profile image52
    mymagicviewposted 7 years ago

co.cc is the right answer!

8. swarnaw profile image60
    swarnawposted 7 years ago

Register it yourself at http://ncilkcom3460.duoservers.com/ for around $7 per year.