jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (12 posts)

8 Year Old Blamed for Being Raped??!!

1. RooBee profile image84
    RooBeeposted 7 years ago

Okay, I've taken plenty of philosophy and anthropology classes but I've come to believe that cultural relativism sounds nice but in many cases it is hogwash.
    A Liberian family living in the US has now reportedly disowned their 8 year old daughter for bringing shame to her family by having the nerve to be gang raped by four "family friends."
    In such an instance, is "cultural relativism" not just jargon to sugar-coat and justify (or at least justify ignoring) brainwashing, rape, and a whole host of other nasty things?
    Poor, poor little girl. I just wish I could hug her.

1. Davinagirl3 profile image59
      Davinagirl3posted 7 years ago in reply to this

This is like a nightmare.  It is ridiculous when this type of sexism can be justified as "cultural".

2. Mrvoodoo profile image60
      Mrvoodooposted 7 years ago in reply to this

I don't really understand the term 'cultural relativsm' but I would cut the throats of those four family 'friends' and beat the parents to within an inch of their lives.  I also hope that this girl is getting plenty of hugs, and that somehow in time, she'll grow strong enough to put that all behind her and blossom.

3. Ambition profile image74
      Ambitionposted 7 years ago in reply to this

Bad luck for girl that she born in such a so called pathetic liberian family. I cannot saw an inch of cultural move in this act.

2. Ultimate Hubber profile image80
    Ultimate Hubberposted 7 years ago

This is so unbelivably pathetic. Still I am sure all Liberians are not like this. Its just a few sick people in every culture and society.

RooBeeposted 7 years ago in reply to this

Of course I don't think that Liberian people are bad per se or any such nonsense (not thinking that was implied, just clarifying smile). There was a man speaking on the news about the incident, who had emigrated to the states from Liberia in '93, helping to bridge the culture gap in the discussion of this incident. He had a great perspective, having grown up in that culture but also living here for several years. He mentioned that it was only VERY recently that rape was officially outlawed there. Scary! Children are indoctrinated with crap like this, so boys and girls grow into adults who continue the cycle. You can't really pinpoint one person or reason to blame but I hope that things are changing for the Liberian people.

1. Ultimate Hubber profile image80
        Ultimate Hubberposted 7 years ago in reply to this

Got your point. And I hope the man on tv was lieing about rape being outlawed very recently.

RooBeeposted 7 years ago in reply to this

I wish he was lying, Ultimate!
          http://www.irinnews.org/country.aspx?Co … ionCode=WA
          In the "gender issues" section of this article it states that in Dec of '05, rape was officially outlawed by parliament. yikes

1. Info Provider profile image77
            Info Providerposted 7 years ago in reply to this

O my god Stop the Madness These Kids are OUR Future!

3. fierycj profile image85
    fierycjposted 7 years ago

What's cultural about abandoning your kid when she needs you? Nothing.

4. Misha profile image76
    Mishaposted 7 years ago

That's a tough question RooBee. While what happened is definitely not something I personally would approve of (providing the description is accurate - see a thread about drinking like a fish smile), a lot of Western sex and kids related beliefs and practices look no less barbaric to me and IMO cause no less harm to people and society. smile

Yes, I am a cultural relativist smile And moral, too smile

5. RooBee profile image84
    RooBeeposted 7 years ago

Thanks everyone, for your comments. Misha, I usually agree and tend to have a way more open mind about pretty much everything than most of the people in my life. This one, however, just made me think about being that little girl - and she probably believes that she did do something wrong!!! I hope you are right, Mr. Voodoo, and she can rise above it. Yeah, cj, it's not a cultural thing but a human thing and there are many groups who have got the people they hold power over believing nonsense that results in much human suffering. (Insert comment about how that sentence could also apply to the US gov't). smile