Do you ever get asked if people can copy your content to their sites?

Jump to Last Post 1-7 of 7 discussions (13 posts)
  1. profile image0
    pgrundyposted 14 years ago

I get these emails every so often offering a link to my hub pages article if I agree to let someone copy it directly to their own web site. I always say no because then I get that little 'c' thingie showing the content has been copied, plus, I thought we agreed when we signed on not to publish the content elsewhere on the web (although of course we could rewrite it or publish it in paper media).

Also, to me, it seems like a good deal for them but for me, not so much. I already backlink to my hub from every other site I write for and I do that for other people WITHOUT asking to use their content for free.

I know some of you are very knowledgeable about marketing your hubs.

What do you think of this kind of request?

2. Ambition profile image61
    Ambitionposted 14 years ago

I advice you not to do it as its definite plagiarism( from the website) and plagiarism has no place.

3. Misha profile image63
    Mishaposted 14 years ago

I would gladly give them a spun version, and specify the text of the link. There is no such thing as too many backlinks. But since you have to re-write manually, I would also look at their site popularity with search engines, and would only work with guys who are well established, say at least PR2. smile

4. profile image0

That's exactly what I was wondering Misha. Next time maybe I will check on that. Is there software you can buy to spin these things so you don't have to do an entire rewrite manually? I've thought of that before for article directories. I write all my content myself, and it only gets used once.

1. Ambition profile image61
      Ambitionposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I don't think there is any software but i use to first translate my article into many different languages using google translator and then again back to english and i can then see some changes.

1. Maddie Ruud profile image73
        Maddie Ruudposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Online translators are crap.  They end up turning stuff into gibberish, a lot of the time.  There are article spinners out there, but if you aren't really good at using them, they turn out the same kind of semi-gibberish as translators.

1. Ambition profile image61
          Ambitionposted 14 years agoin reply to this

thats true but you cannot rewrite any article with any machine. There is no alternative for Human mind.

1. Maddie Ruud profile image73
            Maddie Ruudposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I agree. That's why I write everything from scratch.

2. Misha profile image63
      Mishaposted 14 years agoin reply to this

There is quite a bit of software available, a lot is free, I personally am using an online one - jetspinner.com. You'll have to sign up though, and the spinner part is free. They also do automatic article directory submission of spun articles for you, and this costs money. Depends really on how much you plan to make with this. I pay a flat fee of $20 a month, but I signed up like 3 years ago, I don't know if they changed prices since.

You'll have to do a lot of tedious and boring work though, if you want to get quality spins. I usually spend several working days on preparing one article for spin. The reward is you can literally have hundreds of unique articles. smile

5. barryrutherford profile image75
    barryrutherfordposted 14 years ago

That's exactly what I was wondering Misha. Next time maybe I will check on that. Is there software you can buy to spin these things so you don't have to do an entire rewrite manually?

Can you please explain to me as a rookie what you mean with this spin terminology ?

1. Misha profile image63
      Mishaposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Yeah, it's pretty easy but boring and tedious. The idea is that you go through the article and decide where you can use synonyms, different phrasing, or entirely different sentences and paragraphs, and write this down following a certain syntax. Then a fairly simple piece of software spins it - generates a number of articles using variations you defined, which makes articles more or less unique. Some people delegate the first part to software, too, and this is where garbage and bad reputation are coming from. smile

6. profile image0

Wow. Well, I'm going to check it out, but I see myself giving up quickly. I used to take 'spinning' jobs at Elance, and OMG--I quit bidding on them because of what you are saying here. That was without the software, but it doesn't sound like the software is tons of fun either.

I actually like to write. I may have to just accept poverty! lol!

I won't be the first writer to do that, not by any stretch. But now I have a better perspective on this, thanks. smile

7. Misha profile image63
    Mishaposted 14 years ago

LOL yeah Pam, a lot of people just write. I can't, and it costs me at least $5 a pop, so for me this is actually the easy way out smile

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)