jump to last post 1-3 of 3 discussions (5 posts)

1. AsherKade profile image79
    AsherKadeposted 7 years ago

http://www.cnn.com/2009/CRIME/07/23/pho … index.html

Read the link story....sure you hae heard of it...what's your take on it?

1. 60
      badcompany99posted 7 years ago in reply to this

It was posted on the Forums before Asher, totally disgusting though !

1. BrianFanslau profile image61
        BrianFanslauposted 7 years ago in reply to this

yeah I had heard of this earlier and it is just sad that this stuff happens.

2. Silver Freak profile image60
    Silver Freakposted 7 years ago

It's not just sad that it happens, it's the destruction of 5 lives.

The parents and families will go on and do as they do at home in Liberia, blame the victim and hush it all up, try to live down the shame.

The victim will remember this the rest of her life and will probably have a lot of conflicts between what the social workers/therapists tell her and what her family/upbringing told her. She's going to have a very traumatic time ahead and it will leave marks that will last forever.

The offenders, especially the younger ones will be marked as sexual offenders for the rest of their lives. That precludes them from getting a lot of jobs, even ones as menial as a grocery store shelf stocker, and pretty much limits what they can do to make money to the criminal activities.

From the tone of the article, it sounded like the 14 year old instigated this tragedy, and he will be punished. I don't know how they could make the punishment fit this crime, at least not without violating the "cruel and inhuman punishment" section of the law. As far as I can see, he should be sent back to Liberia. Living here is a privilege, and he's just lost all claim to that privilege.

3. AsherKade profile image79
    AsherKadeposted 7 years ago

oooooooooops,guess with not having a life, I didn't know it had already been discussed at length, my bad...