jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (17 posts)

Concerned with security

1. Koby profile image59
    Kobyposted 7 years ago

If a give my social security number to google or amazon, and it falls into the wrong hands, my life is over.  Is it worth the risk?

1. kmackey32 profile image81
      kmackey32posted 7 years ago in reply to this

I would say no.

2. profile image0
      Hack Retisposted 7 years ago in reply to this

You're fine. How old are you? I could give my SS out all day, no one wants my credit history. wink

Identity Theft protection is a new and rising biz, so don't listen to them trying to tell you how often people get theirs stolen.

A lot of those are also the same people who have VCRs that blink "12:00"

1. Koby profile image59
        Kobyposted 7 years ago in reply to this

My Identity has been stolen before, when i made a purchase online.  A very dumb man stole it, but nevertheless...

3. Lady_E profile image82
      Lady_Eposted 7 years ago in reply to this

I don't recall giving google my NI Number or Social Security as you say. I also don't see it as a risk at all. They are not small businesses.

1. Koby profile image59

In both tutorials (written by hubpages, you can find it in the 'guide') it says i will need to give them a social security number.  They both ask for one, but according to relache you don't need to supply one until a certain milestone in earning is reached.

I understand that these businesses will not try to take my information but i do not say the same for individuals who may have access to it.

1. Lady_E profile image82
          Lady_Eposted 7 years ago in reply to this

Mmmmh. I see your point.

1. Eaglekiwi profile image75
            Eaglekiwiposted 7 years ago in reply to this

After the first $10 ,then you need to fill out tax papers etc .

2. Koby profile image59
    Kobyposted 7 years ago

then how do i make money using adsense or amazon affiliate programs?

1. Jane@CM profile image60
      Jane@CMposted 7 years ago in reply to this

I was never asked by either for a SSN # when I signed up.  But now that you mention it, if they are taking out taxes, they would need it.

2. Drew Breezzy profile image79
      Drew Breezzyposted 7 years ago in reply to this

adsense you get money for clicks on google ads

amazon you get money for purchases

3. relache profile image86
    relacheposted 7 years ago

Neither of those sites deducts taxes.  You are an independent contractor and you do your own taxes on their earnings.  However if you earn enough, you will have to give them your SSN# just like you would any employer who is going to file earnings paperwork on what you made so that you get a 1099 form. (US residents only obviously)

1. Koby profile image59

At what point would i have to give a social security number?

1. relache profile image86
        relacheposted 7 years ago in reply to this

Since you are signed up with Google for AdSense, I suggest you read the Terms of Service and become familiar with all details of their program.  It is, after all, your responsibility as the person who entered into a legal contract with them.

In other words, I'm not going to do your Google homework for you.

1. Koby profile image59

Alright, thanks for your help, i just thought you might know it off of the top of your head since you seemed to be knowledgeable  about the subject.  I'll post it here when i find out what it is.

4. Koby profile image59
    Kobyposted 7 years ago

You are solely responsible for providing and maintaining accurate address and other contact information as well as payment information associated with Your account. For U.S. taxpayers, this information includes without limitation a valid U.S. tax identification number and a fully-completed Form W-9.

I live in the US and I don't have a tax ID which, to me means i need to enter a social security number.

5. Eaglekiwi profile image75
    Eaglekiwiposted 7 years ago

Yep an if its like anything else that requires 'supposed' secure sites , the gremlins will spam the crap outta ya smile

working