The Anti-Hub Challenge- a challenge for everyone

Jump to Last Post 1-9 of 9 discussions (12 posts)
  1. Nanny J.O.A.T. profile image67
    Nanny J.O.A.T.posted 14 years ago

I posted a hub the other day titled simply the Anti Hub Challenge. 

In it, I gave some of my views on what others have mentioned and noted that has been happening on hubpages in regards to spam and substandard articles.

I also put forth a way that all of us, for whatever reason suits us, can make a difference, and make sure that the quality of articles here on hubpages remains up to standard.

Amazingly, I had a visit or two from the management folks here on hubpages that agree that they can use all the help they can get in regards to this issue. 

So, for those of us, who for any reason, don't want to join the 30 Hubs Challenge - There's always the Anti Hub Challenge.

Have a look see and decide for yourself if it's worth 5 minutes a day of your time.

1. rsmallory profile image67
      rsmalloryposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Great idea, I'm in!

2. Nanny J.O.A.T. profile image67

Next?......

C'mon folks- you've been looking for a way to make management listen and do something about it....here's your chance.

BTW - I have already checked a couple of the ones I flagged yesterday - they're outta here!!!

1. profile image0
      sandra rinckposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Well, I just came from reading our anti hub challenge and while I think it is a good idea, at the same time I think that a lot of the users... as you call them, "cockroaches" would take it as an invitation to just start flagging people they don't like.

I have been here for 2 years and rarely come across this.  I think I have only flagged a couple since I have been here and it had to do with blatant racism. 

Of course then there is the other side.

Not too long ago ( I see you have only been here for 3 months and congratulations on that) someone was ranting about hubpages being wasted on writers who just want to write.

We must be fair here.  So yeah, I like the idea, most hubbers who have been here a while already do it.  You should join the hubpages challenge too.

3. Nanny J.O.A.T. profile image67

Sandra,

There is a reason for Rule #1 - flag for content - not for any discriminatory reason - it is the #1 rule and it is in bold.

If anyone can't understand or won't follow that #1 rule - then I don't want them in the Anti-Hub Challenge either!

The purpose is to help Hubpages members help themselves - Maddie and Fawntia's comments both clearly state - they appreciate other members efforts to combat something that detracts from all of us.

While I may have only been here 3 months - I have been looking and writing on the internet longer than that - I finally settled on Hubpages as a cut above the rest. 

There is room for both types of writers here on hubpages. But let's all work together to keep the quality up shall we?

4. Marisa Wright profile image86
    Marisa Wrightposted 14 years ago

I like your concern about the quality of Hubs and willingness to do something about it.  However, I do think the recent ruckus about the Hub Challenge spawning spam Hubs was a bit of a beat-up.

I've been here two years and every now and then, I check out the "latest Hubs" and "new Hubbers".  Every since I first started, there have been pages of spammy Hubs, and Hubbers who clearly have no intention of being serious writers.  I don't think the Challenge made all that much difference.

What it did was make Hubbers who were here to "just write" feel like they were no longer wanted on HubPages, and that's a pity because it's not true.  I think those of us who write to make money, and those who write for art's sake, can co-exist.  The thing is that neither side should drown out the other, and that's what the first Challenge did.  I think  this second one will be better because it's contained in its own sub-forum.

1. profile image0
      sandra rinckposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Exactly. big_smile

5. 3bagsfull profile image66
    3bagsfullposted 14 years ago

regardless of the reason why these hubs have appeared, I am gonna take on your challenge

I just went to the latest -- and holy moly there is a bunch of crap out there

the one's that bother me the most are the ones that must have been written in a different language and then translated via google translate (I have no proof of this but it sure seems plausible)

6. Nanny J.O.A.T. profile image67

This isn't about the latest hub challenge - I simply termed my hub the Anti-Hub Challenge to state the fact that there are plenty of Anti-hubs aka spam out there.

I have already stated I believe that both types of writers can co-exist - but it will also take BOTH kinds of writers help and vigilance along with Hubpages management to keep the quality at a level that benefits ALL of us.

Unfortunately, each hub challenge seems to bring a spike of spam hubs - instead of hooting and hollering about it - I have given every writer of every type a legitimate and resource conscious way of helping hubpages keep the quality up without detracting from the main purpose of this site- which is quality content.

So, I don't care one way or another, hub challenge away! But also take a few minutes of your time to help keep the site someplace you'd like everyone, especially outside visitors to your hubs, to see that you're in a quality place.

7. Uninvited Writer profile image81
    Uninvited Writerposted 14 years ago

As I posted in the hub, I think everyone who starts here spends a lot of time flagging; I know I did. I still flag when I come across spammy hubs but I don't spend as much time as I used to going through the new hubs. Now I am more concerned with writing quality hubs.

But I agree, more people should flag the spam and the adult hubs and all the others that break the rules. I even wrote a hub about it but I doubt the people who need it most would bother to read it.

http://hubpages.com/hub/What-not-to-wri … n-HubPages

8. Nanny J.O.A.T. profile image67

Well there ya go - I'll just add this to my hub so everyone can see it as well. smile

Anyone else have good links like this???

9. Nanny J.O.A.T. profile image67

As an update - Maddie has given me links to add to my hub on this that allows everyone to see exactly what is considered overly promtional and spam - they are well worth checking out.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)