jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (13 posts)

Inappropriate ads

1. DonnaCSmith profile image83
    DonnaCSmithposted 7 years ago

I was just looking at my hub, http://hubpages.com/hub/Betsy-Dowdy-Loo … e-Treasure  which is a kid's story, and see several inappropriate ads there. Who do I contact about changing them? I changed my groups around hoping to make it more clear the content is for children.

Thanks for your advice!

1. Mark Knowles profile image61
      Mark Knowlesposted 7 years ago in reply to this

That is a tough one. I think the word "banker" is probably throwing them off. Plus that ad with the half naked chick advertising a fantasy game on is all over everywhere at the moment. I assume they are paying for a blanket campaign.

And you need to remove that comment at the end of your URL for it to work. smile

1. DonnaCSmith profile image83
        DonnaCSmithposted 7 years ago in reply to this

Thanks, Mark. I was going to delete it, but since I changed the group to "home - family - children" the ads have changed - for now anyway.

2. sunforged profile image68
    sunforgedposted 7 years ago

The ads are triggered by your content keywords, i doubt your group change had much of an effect. If you really wanted to block a particular ad. there is no one to contact, but you can put the ads URL in your blacklist via your google adsense console

3. WeddingConsultant profile image80
    WeddingConsultantposted 7 years ago

Thanks for the reminder. Just added evony.com to the growing list. Really don't think my readers find appeal in a fake woman advertising a silly game.

I know HP is looking to make money any way possible (as all healthy businesses do), but I wish the specialized ads that are hosted outside of google adsense would not be shown on our hubs. Profiles, homepage, forums, etc. I'm fine with, but hubs are really the moneymakers for us and so having more "natural" ads makes sense for us, our readers and hubpages too if you think about it.

For now I'll just continue to accumulate competitive ad filters.

1. relache profile image87
      relacheposted 7 years ago in reply to this

Remember, your filter will only be in effect during the 60% of the time when your affiliate code is on the Hubs.  You may see ads you don't care for when HubPages code is attached to them.

1. WeddingConsultant profile image80
        WeddingConsultantposted 7 years ago in reply to this

Yup. But at this time it's the best I can do (that I know of) for my readers...

2. freelanceworld profile image60
        freelanceworldposted 7 years ago in reply to this

Yes,in those 40% times too, if hubpages has no such filters on... !
        They might be definitely utilizing some filters, i guess, but  most probably they are generalized IMO.
        Regards

4. Rik Ravado profile image90
    Rik Ravadoposted 7 years ago

Has anyone tried the new catagory filters?  They allow you to filter out catagories of ads.  For example the category 'religion' gets rid of the scientology ads.  I suspect that filtering out these kind of ads means you actually earn less money
    Any thoughts on this?

http://adsense.blogspot.com/?utm_source … sourcestab

1. relache profile image87
      relacheposted 7 years ago in reply to this

No matter what category you pick to filter, it will have a full range of low-to-high paying ads, so I fail to see where your suspicions are coming from.

5. rebekahELLE profile image91
    rebekahELLEposted 7 years ago

my latest hub is for preschool age children and there's that fantasy ad~ do I change the title?

the title is teaching values and respect to young children

1. rebekahELLE profile image91
      rebekahELLEposted 7 years ago in reply to this

wow, that was fast, it's already changed. I guess it takes time to filter the content.

1. rebekahELLE profile image91
        rebekahELLEposted 7 years ago in reply to this

help! they're back!!

working